DC-AC Inverter question

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
Hello all,

I was wanting to build an inverter circuit that changes DC-AC to a step up transformer. My question is should I go the transistor route or could I use a 555 timer to oscillate the DC - AC?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What do you think? Across the internet it is hard to read your mind.
Provide what specifications you think is relevant.

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
ok basically i want to build a circuit similar to camera flash circuit to create a high voltage supply to play with, they look simple enough i was just wondering if i could use a 555 chip instead of the transistor config or if it would be better to stick with the original plans and if i did stick with the original plans what would be the suggestions for using 9vdc instead of the 1.5vdc as most plans have called for

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Now we're getting somewhere. A typical photo flash circuit needs to charge a 330μF capacitor to about 300V. If you can live with lower light output you can reduce the value of the capacitor to 10-100μF.

The charging current required will affect the length of time you are willing to wait for the capacitor to recharge.

Flash circuits usually contain a single transistor and a transformer to provide a feedback oscillatory circuit. A 555 timer circuit will work also.

One word of caution. 300V is a lot of volts. You will receive a significant painful shock should you come into contact with such high voltages.

If you are not prepared to prevent personal injury this thread will be promptly close. Read the Terms of Service.

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
• Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
• Transformer-less power supplies

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
Oh i am completely safe, I actually repair xray equipment for a living. I am just not up to snuff on building circuits, but i can troubleshoot and repair whats in place.