DC / AC Inverter Design Assistance

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by NM Iskandar, Sep 1, 2016.

1. NM Iskandar

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Hey guys, I am kinda new in power electronics and I have a task at hand that requires assistance.

I have an assignment to build a SMPS. My prof gave me a breakdown that once I rectify the Input from AC (230V rms), 50Hz to a DC (300V), I need to channel the output through a DC / AC Inverter. I have been searching the net for a pretty beginner level decent explanation on the principle of operation but I got confused along the way. I have come across the fundamentals of the SMPS Flyback Converter. Is that a better option to use instead?

Here is the block diagram from my prof

Rectify from Mains -> DC/AC Inverter -> Transformer -> Rectify -> 2 outputs , (12V, 5A),
    Thanks in advance

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You're looking at making an atx psu, 12v and 5v out @ what current level, i suggest looking at the smps chip technologies like TL494, Uc3842/5 series,Tea1623, Viper20a, or take an old mobile phone charger apart, or laptop psu for ideas. Take it from experience its far cheaper to buy one, or modify one than trying to make your own.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. NM Iskandar

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Hi Dodgydave, Im actually doing up a final year project and my prof have asked me to build a SMPS. With further reading, the block diagram that my prof provided, the DC/AC inverter actually confused me, hence the question. In actual fact, I can just do up a Flyback Converter, correct me if Im wrong. The SMPS is to power up appliances such as the TV that requires 100-120 watts. 1st output, 12 V 5A, 2nd Output 8V 5A. Hence total power 100 watts