DC 12v 100+ amp transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkviper5

Joined Mar 8, 2011
i am building a project with some power inverters and i need some way to power the inverter in some remote location, is there a way i can get a transformer with the output of 12v DC at 100 or more amps, with the input of 110v at 60 hz? ... need to power a 10,000 watt or 5,000 watt power inverter sufficiently with out shorting anything out

thanks

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
You gonna need some bodacious rectifiers and regulators.

Your transformer has to output the 12v [ more like 20v to properly supply the rects & regs.

For that kind of amps, make sure all connections are adequate, clean and tight, and prior to powering up, you need a proper load so the whole thing has something to do w/ all that power.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Most everything is available for a $price$.

and believe me when I say, 12V 100Amp transformers are not going to be cheap.

Have you considered using a battery? 12 volt deep cycle batteries can deliver that kind of current (for a short time)

darkviper5

Joined Mar 8, 2011
where can i get one? can i build one if so how? i just need something that gives me 12v dc at 100 amps, since 10,000 watt inverter will require about 100 amps input current, 5,000 watt will require about 70 i think, maybe 60 amps current. it douse not really matter for the input, i can probably make something for input, just the output is what i am worried about.

i thought about batteries, but they will only work for about 5 hours if even that, and putting a floating charger on them, will make them last longer, but i have no idea how long and i was kinda looking for a maintain free solution, how much would a transformer cost? any links?

i could build something if told what parts to get and how to put it together, i love messing with electricity to, so i know a bit about it.

thanks for all your replyes ...

p.s. one deep cycle battery will be about 300 or more ...

mjhilger

Joined Feb 28, 2011
If you don't mind skipping the building part, you could simply get a few PC power supplies and use the 12v output. The inners of the things usually use the 12 v rail to buck down to the 5v etc. So getting a few and paralleling them together to provide your desired output might be an option. You might have to be careful about how you connect them; maybe use a small resistance high wattage resistor; or use cables of a few inches to allow for a balance (I don't think there will be a problem once the load is there, just on power up before the load). This approach could save you a lot of effort in building a supply of that high output.

darkviper5

Joined Mar 8, 2011
If you don't mind skipping the building part, you could simply get a few PC power supplies and use the 12v output. The inners of the things usually use the 12 v rail to buck down to the 5v etc. So getting a few and paralleling them together to provide your desired output might be an option. You might have to be careful about how you connect them; maybe use a small resistance high wattage resistor; or use cables of a few inches to allow for a balance (I don't think there will be a problem once the load is there, just on power up before the load). This approach could save you a lot of effort in building a supply of that high output.
interesting answer, but i have no idea if two power supplies would be able to work side by side and still provide 12v ... altho those high end inverters do have multiple input's some up to 4 battery banks, so i could get 4 power supplies and connect each to it's own input to the inverter running at like 30 amps on 12 v each, and that should achieve what i need, altho, in all reality, then it would create 350 or more watt power draw each, which would be 400 watt x 4 = 1600 watt ...

one 10,000 watt inverter might run off 4 power supplies using 1600 watt, so if i trow in another 2500 watt inverter with two more power supplies to power that, close circuit, that that would be 2400 watt, which 2500 watt inverter would do.

2500 watt inverter would run 6 power supplies with 2400 watt, which would in theory power 10,000 power inverter, and the 2500 watt inverter, closed curcuit and it would always draw power from itself...

unless i am missing something, i think if done correctly it should work.

please check my work and see if anything is missing, thanks for all your replyes ...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
i am building a project with some power inverters and i need some way to power the inverter in some remote location, is there a way i can get a transformer with the output of 12v DC at 100 or more amps, with the input of 110v at 60 hz? ... need to power a 10,000 watt or 5,000 watt power inverter sufficiently with out shorting anything out

thanks
I am missing the point. If you are powering inverters in a remote location, where are you going to get the 117vac input for the 12vdc power supplies? And if you already have 117vac at this remote location, why do you need inverters? (I am assuming the inverters you speak of turn 12vdc into 117vac, but maybe that's not correct.) Maybe a description of your project goals would help, but as JaguarJoe has pointed out, the cost of producing 1000 amps of 12+vdc without using batteries is going to be huge.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Why don't you sit down and carefully write out exactly what problem you're trying to solve along with the engineering constraints and budget? The simplest solution is to tell you to go buy a DC power supply such as an Agilent 6571A-J17. But what usually happens is that the OP comes back astonished and says "I can't spend $6k for such a thing". If you're a hobbyist with a smaller budget, there are used power supplies that can be purchased.

So please carefully define the problem before folks invest more energy in making suggestions.

darkviper5

Joined Mar 8, 2011
I am missing the point. If you are powering inverters in a remote location, where are you going to get the 117vac input for the 12vdc power supplies? And if you already have 117vac at this remote location, why do you need inverters? (I am assuming the inverters you speak of turn 12vdc into 117vac, but maybe that's not correct.) Maybe a description of your project goals would help, but as JaguarJoe has pointed out, the cost of producing 1000 amps of 12+vdc without using batteries is going to be huge.

look at the attached drawing, the battery would be used for like less then 5 seconds i suppose, to jump the circuit, and it might be self sufficient

if i can't produce 100 amps at 12 v, then i'll use alternative ways to raise to 100 amps at 12 v.

You completely avoided answering the question, and it's a good one.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OP is nuttier than I thought.

Now I really have no Idea what OP is trying to do..

Self sustaining? is he crazy..

You thing you can build a fusion reactor when you have no idea about energy transfer and efficiency.

Without telling what u really want will get you no where. So stop wasting our time and ur's aswell

darkviper5

Joined Mar 8, 2011
was just looking for some answers, or insite ... can't people experiment with electricity ... maybe this was a wrong place to look, i am sorry i waisted your time and mine. i guess i'll go else where ... did not expect people to think i am crazy .. and no it is not free energy, it is a way for me to power something where regular electricity is not readily available, but i guess that is a problem

The power has to come from somewhere. Your overunity device will not work and that sort of thing comes up all the time. If it did (and they don't) we'd all be using them. Try solar or a gas powered generator.

Don't feel bad, folks drop by here all the time looking for free energy devices. They see fake YouTube videos with all sorts of gadgets that may appear to be creating power from nothing, they simply don't work and cannot work. Do yourself a favor and don't spend any money on the scammers (and there are plenty) as all their devices violate one or more of the following laws.
Zeroth: You must play the game.
First: You can't win.
Second: You can't break even.
Third: You can't quit the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics
http://www.physics4kids.com/files/thermo_intro.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.