dBuV to dBm no Ohms given in datasheet

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
There is a datasheet for an RF device I'm looking at and it says the device's output power is 121dBuV. Nowhere in the datasheet does it say Ohms, so do I assume it is 50ohms, so that means the device puts out 14dbm? I got -10dbm out of the device so I'm confused. Can someone tell me how many dbm it is? (It is a VHF transmitter chip, so I assume 50ohms.)

Thanks!

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Under what operating conditions are you supposed to get 121dbuV.
They don't say exactly (and I'm not even sure what you mean by "conditions" yourself). Do you mean the impedance/ohms because it doesn't say that. It just says when it's transmitting it puts out 121dBuV, so please tell me the output power in dbm or mW?

This seems kind of ridiculous. How do they expect anyone to figure out what it means? I see a lot of different datasheets even for other devices like FM transmitter chip and they all (except one) say only dbuv not dbm. So how do they expect you to figure out the power?

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
This seems kind of ridiculous. How do they expect anyone to figure out what it means? I see a lot of different datasheets even for other devices like FM transmitter chip and they all (except one) say only dbuv not dbm. So how do they expect you to figure out the power?
Datasheets are roughed out by engineers, but usually finished by marketing wonks (the engineers should check the work, but who has the time). Call the company's support staff.

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Datasheets are roughed out by engineers, but usually finished by marketing wonks (the engineers should check the work, but who has the time). Call the company's support staff.
It is a chinese company and support is unreliable at this time due to chinese new year.

Datasheet: down.cosou.com/xintechsz.com/QN8027.pdf

There has to be some assumption being made here that I don't understand. Do they imply 50ohm because almost all rf stuff is 50ohm? There are many datasheets like this from other companies and none say 50ohm only dbuv, so there is clearly a standard that the engineers are all in on and I don't know it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is a chinese company and support is unreliable at this time due to chinese new year.

Datasheet: down.cosou.com/xintechsz.com/QN8027.pdf

There has to be some assumption being made here that I don't understand. Do they imply 50ohm because almost all rf stuff is 50ohm? There are many datasheets like this from other companies and none say 50ohm only dbuv, so there is clearly a standard that the engineers are all in on and I don't know it.
I suggest you get the application note mentioned in footnote number 3 of the output power specification.