Dave's Advise

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Saying's and terms have different meanings in other countries.
So when you post you may offend someone.I have done this
by mistake, The International Green book,turns out that the
U.K. has a green book for expense's of government leaders.I read this in the U.S. news. The two books have nothing to do with each other,but can be mis-read.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You are right.
Some words or combinations of words can be interpeted different in other parts of the world.
I am working for an international firm, so I have contacts with people of other countries.
I have to use german and english in these contacts.( I am dutch myself ).
I have sometimes have to look for the "right" words.

Greetings,
Bertus

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I'm amazed at the Industry that comes from your part of the
world.Your heavy Industry by sea. Industry world wide is a sucess
story that goes un-noticed,because It Is by sea.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Our main offices are in Germany (Karlsruhe, Leipzig and Bremen), in Switserland (Fallanden near Zurich) and in the USA (Billerica).
There are offices all around the world.
Most contacts I have is with Germany.
Our office in Wormer (20 Km north of Amsterdam) is a representative (sales and service) of the foreing offices.

Greetings,
Bertus

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Offensive remarks can be blamed on both parties. They are only words, and only hold what power the person reading/hearing them gives. Somebody looking to take offense to another will always find something. Somebody coming into this forum for help, will over look any offensive remarks, usually smart enough to realize the context is quite right to be intentional.

Jack Bourne

Joined Apr 30, 2008
This is true.
Its like the HSBC advert we had over here; a chinese host kept bringing more and more food for his english guest as he kept finishing the plates off.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Offensive remarks can be blamed on both parties. They are only words, and only hold what power the person reading/hearing them gives. Somebody looking to take offense to another will always find something. Somebody coming into this forum for help, will over look any offensive remarks, usually smart enough to realize the context is quite right to be intentional.
Good point. The last time I checked the Bill of Rights in the US Constitution, there was one about the freedom of speech, but I didn't see anything about the right to not be offended. Lots of folks act as if there were one, though.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The last time I checked,that has a tone,that you could easily be offended.
Thus country boy's should handle the guy's club with care or be fast
typed ,whipped with intelect. We need not know our rights or the use
of the english language.Water made the steam engine's run,water make
electricity by pressure.Water keep's you alive to have your rights.Has
water run its course,nothing else to be invented.Water has properties
that there is no test for,so you have to drink it anyway. Maybe some
learned person can help I.D. the Orkin era, It go's-Go Away Fast-Come
Back Slow.Its reminds me of the plague.

Last edited:

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Constitution & Law related stuffs have always been based on very specific definition of words and yet limited at some point. A single "comma" missed on paper can alter someone's case.

Last edited:

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
The last time I checked,that has a tone,that you could easily be offended.
"... that has a tone..." ??? Are you claiming that if someone says, "The last time I checked", it means that he is easily offended? That's quite a stretch in logic. What I am saying is that 1) you shouldn't go around consciously trying to offend people, and 2) some people who are so easily offended should grow a thicker skin. Much of the political correctness BS came about because certain people were offended by certain terms. For example, we were told that blind people were offended by this term, and that we should call them "vision impaired." I'm sure you can come up with many more examples.
Thus country boy's should handle the guy's club with care or be fast
typed ,whipped with intelect.
Huh? What country boys? What club are you talking about? Fast typed? The entire sentence is incomprehensible to me.

We need not know our rights or the use
of the english language.
If you don't know your rights, you probably won't notice when someone tries to take them away. Although you don't need to know how to use English, it's a pretty important language throughout many parts of the world.
Water made the steam engine's run,water make
electricity by pressure.Water keep's you alive to have your rights.Has
water run its course,nothing else to be invented.Water has properties
that there is no test for,so you have to drink it anyway. Maybe some
learned person can help I.D. the Orkin ara, It go's-Go Away Fast-Come
Back Slow.Its reminds me of the plague.
OK, I understand that you have now switched to talking about water, and that if you squeeze water, electricity is somehow miraculously generated. That might be somewhat of an oversimplification of the process.

In any case, how do water and the "Orkin ara" (???) relate to offensive remarks, which is ostensibly what this thread is about?

Mark

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Don't disrespect me for standing my ground with an unknown intellect,I hope you can
understand that that taking a post apart,changes the post meaning.You only
address what you know,cant be sure of your knowledge on the unanswered parts
of the post. that when the fast typeing guys fill in the other parts. Whiich is a good thing,we all learn more from the post.I respect your computer knowledge,but that don't mean you have all the anwsers.By chopping up the post make it look like you
know every thing,with all due respect.What you do in 2 minutes take me an half hour.
I hope this help us respect each other more and the other guys.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Don't disrespect me for standing my ground with an unknown intellect,I hope you can
understand that that taking a post apart,changes the post meaning.You only
address what you know,cant be sure of your knowledge on the unanswered parts
of the post. that when the fast typeing guys fill in the other parts. Whiich is a good thing,we all learn more from the post.I respect your computer knowledge,but that don't mean you have all the anwsers.By chopping up the post make it look like you
know every thing,with all due respect.What you do in 2 minutes take me an half hour.
I hope this help us respect each other more and the other guys.
Loosewire, you misread me. I have a lot of respect for someone who stands his or her ground, as long as he or she can bring a good argument to bear. Regarding your post, it may or may not true that taking a posted message apart changes its meaning. In several parts of your post I was not able to determine the meaning, and I called those out with my remarks.

It doesn't matter if someone can type something in two minutes that would take someone else a half-hour to type. And in fact, many times the post that took a half-hour or an hour to craft is the superior one, well organized, and with data to support the opinions put forward, while the one that took only a couple of minutes is poorly thought out and makes little or no sense.

What does matter is the content of what you say. In this and in most forums, if you post something, it behooves you to think about what you are saying. The AAC forum and many others are marketplaces of ideas. A good argument usually wins out over a bad one.