Data Transmission long distance

cwojack

Joined Apr 8, 2007
I am new to this process and at 60 years old I am able to learn new things but I have a problem.

I have a project that requires the transmission of an image, that was triggered by a specific event, a long distance. (aprox 30 miles) The line of site is fair to poor. The question is what products are available and should I use a single board PC. Also power is a consideration (I am sure that this is normal).

Is there a simple way for me to learn how to program this or is there a open source app that will, with modification of course, do the job or some place I can find data transmission apps?

I also need a fast high resolution image for identification purposes.

Any Idea would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
What other parameters can you supply? By "line of sight", are we to imagine the mode of transmission is by microwave RF? Do we assume you can't send the image by landline, like the internet? And what constitutes "fast, high resolution" (what's the image size, DPI, and what is the minimum time to transmit the image?).

cwojack

Joined Apr 8, 2007
What other parameters can you supply? By "line of sight", are we to imagine the mode of transmission is by microwave RF? Do we assume you can't send the image by landline, like the internet? And what constitutes "fast, high resolution" (what's the image size, DPI, and what is the minimum time to transmit the image?).
This could be in a hilly area with trees. Internet transmission would take place at a base receiving station that would be connected to the net.

19200 bps or greater as the size of the image files could be rather large. The system with the camera would need to be able to store multiple images until they all are transmitted. Images would be taken from 60 to 150 ft and be able to capture data on a 5' X 7" sticker after plowing up the image.

Chuck

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Line of sight has nothing significant to do with a data transmission on the internet. The TCP/IP protocol will control the transfer of the image, in that case. 19.2 Kbits is a telephone modem speed - the net can handle over 1 Mbyte/sec, depending on your connection.

"capture data on a 5' X 7" sticker after plowing up the image." is hard to interpret. You don't describe the camera, video or still. If it's still, then the image file can be reduced in size by quite a bit by using black and white rather than a color image.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
The simplest way I can think of is to run a FTP server from the point where you are snapping pictures. There are a ton of programs that function as a server. Then, you can set your recieve station to poll the server at intervals via a scripting language used for FTP browsers. Leapftp at www.leapware.com has a really easy scripting language that might be useful for this.

What are you using to take pictures? Can these be dumped to a folder and their names incremented or time stamped? Is a constant connection acceptable?

Steve

cwojack

Joined Apr 8, 2007
Line of sight has nothing significant to do with a data transmission on the internet. The TCP/IP protocol will control the transfer of the image, in that case. 19.2 Kbits is a telephone modem speed - the net can handle over 1 Mbyte/sec, depending on your connection.
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have access to internet at this point it is too far from the access points. Also no supplied power.

capture data on a 5' X 7" sticker after plowing up the image." is hard to interpret. You don't describe the camera, video or still. If it's still, then the image file can be reduced in size by quite a bit by using black and white rather than a color image.
The sugestion of B/W is excelent. I am still looking for a image capture system that uses low power. no video is needed.

Chuck

cwojack

Joined Apr 8, 2007
The simplest way I can think of is to run a FTP server from the point where you are snapping pictures. There are a ton of programs that function as a server. Then, you can set your recieve station to poll the server at intervals via a scripting language used for FTP browsers. Leapftp at www.leapware.com has a really easy scripting language that might be useful for this.
Thanks for the reply.

Polling is an option, what should I use at the camera location as processor, and are there any program examples that I can use or look at to capture the image and save it to a location fo ftp retreval.

What are you using to take pictures? Can these be dumped to a folder and their names incremented or time stamped? Is a constant connection acceptable?

Steve
Don't know about the camera but it does not need to be video. someone sugested B/W. I am looking for how I can capture and save the data for future transmission:

As you can see I am very new and I grately appreciate the help.

Chuck