Data compression-IEEE papers

tojeena

Joined May 2, 2009
Hello for the attached Block diagram could anyone please help me to get recent IEEE papers for doing my MTech project.Data Compression algorithms ,error correcting codes. I searched IEEE explore,science direct etc.I wasn't able to locate anything useful,I was getting only image,speech compression papers.Please help me in this regard.(Communication signal compression)

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As I understand it you need to be a member or use the university library. It is not the purpose of this forum to help you circumvent the rules. It might be nice if the IEEE would share and disseminate information freely, but that is not the way it works. You will get no help here on that score.

tojeena

Joined May 2, 2009
understand my situation.Its not like demanding ieee paper.I just need some links so that i could solve my problem.Not the entire paper ,just the idea or abstract.I am totally ignorant to start this project so i was asking any references to get into this.Replies like this is disgusting.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is not disgusting it is the law and we take it seriously. If you do not that is your problem. You asked and I quote

...please help me to get recent IEEE papers...

That seems reasonably unequivocal to me. You did not ask for links or help you asked for papers. Period -- full stop.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hello for the attached Block diagram could anyone please help me to get recent IEEE papers for doing my MTech project.Data Compression algorithms ,error correcting codes. I searched IEEE explore,science direct etc.I wasn't able to locate anything useful,I was getting only image,speech compression papers.Please help me in this regard.(Communication signal compression)
Your school's library may subscribe to the IEEE library, so you may have access to IEEE papers as it is, without breaking the law.

Go ask your library help desk.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The legal aspects aside, your post doesn't give much to go on. You are wanting papers on compression, you found papers on compression, they weren't what you wanted, so you want us to help you find papers on compression. Not much to work with.

How about putting together a detailed description of what you are trying to do and what you are looking for in the way of compression and error correction and perhaps we can offer some suggestions of where to look.

tojeena

Joined May 2, 2009
Hey,we have ieee access in our school.I didnt mean to get the entire paper.Meant to get some abstract to the related field.I am familiar to image processing compression methods and not to the satellite telemetry data compression and error correcting codes so i needed some help and posted in this forum.I am doing my masters .here in my area bachelors + masters course is of 6 years duration with this years of experience i know the IEEE rules and regulations,so i know i am not going to get the valued ieee papers from here.I AM JUST LOOKING FOR REFERENCE MATERIALS FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING WITH THIS AREA.AND GOOGLE SEARCH GAVE ME MORE OF IMAGE AND SPEECH AREA.about your reply "looking for IEEE paper" i think you thought that i am a novice in this area.

Thank you so much for valuable replies....

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Part of getting a Masters degree is usually an expectation that you develop and demonstate the ability to perform literature searches, so we need to be a bit careful about just handing you references on a silver platter.

You say that you have done a search via Google and IEEE Xplore and Science Direct and can't find anything useful, just image and speech compression papers.

Yet when I did a Google search for the four terms you have in your last post, namely "satellite telemetry data compression ", I got lots of hits that look quite relevant.

So I think you need to really work on your literature search skills if you want to convince your committee that you deserve a Masters degree.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I always use Yahoo advanced search:
http://search.yahoo.com/web/advanced
There you have several lines to fill in:
all of these words
the exact phrase
any of these words
none of these words
With these lines you can reduce the number of hits to a more specific search.

You can even define the domain and file type.

Bertus

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In my mind the other requirement of an advanced degree is the ability to communicate ideas and concepts clearly and precisely so that your colleagues can understand your thesis and the supporting arguments. Asking a vague and imprecise question is as bad as a vague and imprecise argument or conclusion.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes. The "digitizer" in BD suggests that the data will consist of binary strings. The "formatter" suggests that other information will be concatenated with the actual data prior to transmission.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't see a reason to prefer one order of operations or the other. Do you have one to offer? For some historical perspective you might want to research some historical deep space probes like the Voyager and the Mariner missions. As I understand what they did it involved low data rates and redundancy rather than compression and error correction.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To the best of my knowledge, many of the earlier planetary missions, including Mariner, Pioneer, and Viking, make extensive use of error correction encoding but did not use data compression. But on Voyager, data compression was used for the first time in the secondary missions (it was deemed too risky for the primary missions) and as a backup for the primary missions. But compression requires much lower bit error rates, so Voyager was the first space mission in which mutli-error correcting Reed-Solomon codes were used.

As for the order, compression versus error correction, it matters a lot!

In almost all compression algorithms, the decompression algortihm is very sensistive to errors and will quickly garble the entire segment in which the error exists. Also, the transmission errors are applied to the compressed data, so it makes sense to use error correcting codes to make recovery of the compressed data possible. Another way to think of it, but this is a bit of a tangent, is that a bit error in the compressed data is equivalent to many bit errors in the uncompressed data, so if your error-correction was after decompression, then it would have to be capable of correcting many more errors. Worse, those errors are spread out over many more bits in largely unpredictable ways.

So compress your data (i.e., perform Source Encoding), apply your error correcting codes (your Channel Encoding), apply whatever is required by the physical layer protocol, and then transmit. At the receiver, reverse this process.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Remembering the processors available at the time including the RCA 1802 it is hard to imagine much in the way of error correction or compression. Those were however very clever guys so it doesn't surprise me that they were able to do a great deal with very little.