data acquisition with 4-20mA with HART or 4-20mA analog

Kcoinoz

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Hi,
I am very sorry but I have very little knowledge about this ...
I am currently setting up a pilot wastewater treatment unit for which I need to monitor pressures. I have identifyed pressure sensors suitable for my application but the output is 4-20mA with HART communication.
I would then like to know if it possible to connect these pressure sensors to standard 4-20mA analog data acquisition system?
Thank you
Regards
K

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Do you propose using the HART protocol or is that the only type of pressure transducer you are able to source for you application?

Or are you concerned the the HART signal will interfere with or be incompatible with the standard 4-20mA data acquisition operation?

If you want to use the HART protocol to transfer data your data acquisition system would require a HART interface I/O.

Kcoinoz

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Hi
Thank you for your reply
I have these pressure sensors at hand so I'd like to use them but the people I am working with are not familiar with HART and as you said I don't know if these will be compatible with 4-20mA analog.
To maybe be a bit clearer, I just would like to know if these sensors can directly be connected to a standard 4-20mA analog card.
Cheers
K

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If the transducer can function in standard 4-20 mA mode or both at the same time then OK. That's most likely the case anyway. Check the specs for the transducer. Does it produce a standard 4-20 mA output for the nominal input pressure range? The HART signal should not interfere with the standard 4-20 mA operation.