darlington pairs

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
hi ,
guys ,can anybody tell me how darlington pairs work ?
i tried finding out but failed to understand totally ,i need to know this because they are used in uln2003 motor driver IC ,any help will be highly appreciated

thank You

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A darlington uses one transistor to drive a second. Together they act like one transistor, but with a total gain for the two multiplied, and the drop voltage from base to emitter is two junctions instead of one, so it drops 1.4 volts instead of the .7V. You can buy transistors that are actually packaged darlingtons like the TIP105 (PNP).

The high gain enhances a lot of the desirable characteristics of a normal transistor, as in emitter followers used in power supplies for example, and dramatically reduce the drive required to turn one on.

They are discussed in the All About Electronics book at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/6.html

Attachments

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
just tell me one thing can u tell me more on such topics, like different kind of amplifiers etc

and does aac teach other young hobbiests(newbies) how to make circuits or how should they get started?

thank you

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
u know something..........

its an awesome site and provides a great deal of knowledge to all those who refer it.that too is also because of the devoted moderators and not to forget the always helpful members of the community,the community is really impressive.
keep it up guys