dark activated switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by conntaxman, Jun 10, 2012.

1. conntaxman

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Im looking for a cir. for a Dark activated switch, using a TIP120 Darlington Transistor. Im making a 10 LED flood light , the LED will draw about 1 amp. I have some of the tip120 and they say its good for 5 amp. I'll be using a 12dc battery to run the system.I really don't want to use a relay with a coil.I'll be using a cds cell or could use led's to detect the light.
    I looked on google and cant find a cir. and I don't play around enought to make a cir, so I will leave that up to the wisords. LOL
    tks
    John

2. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    may this help you..........

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You will need a good heat sink on the transistor, it can be a clip on if it is not enclosed.

[​IMG]

You didn't specify the current specs on the LEDs, which will also affect R2's value. I figure a nominal value for R3-6 is 20ma, which would mean those resistors are around 100Ω, and R2 would be around 1KΩ. You may have to go as low as 47Ω for R3-6 due to using a Darlington.

If the LEDs are 1A parts, which is unlikely, I would change the driver circuit entirely.

R1 is around 100KΩ.

I would use either 9 or 12 LEDs, if you must use 10 LEDs then remove D9 and D12, then recalculate R5 and R6 to match.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  4. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    what??
    Ok, you can use mosfet without heat sink....!!

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    OP specified the part, you plan on using the part the OP specified. Works that way in industry too.

A MOSFET would be better, agreed.

6. conntaxman

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    ------------------
    Hi Bill. the LED F.C. is 1 amp x 12vdc. You are using a 555. could I replace that with the TIP120 Darlington tran. why i want to use this is because i have some and no sence to not use .But if I can find another cir, i'll use that. Some one said use a mosf.
    I just want a cir to build the light im making, all or most cir, that I find are using relays, and i dont want those.
    tks
    John