Dangers with hazardous components.

No it was MEK. All of this happened in the time before MSDS were mandated. Doctor said my liver test results were due to the MEK, and I believed him.
It is best to take the advice of those conversant with your medical history (as you have done) -- especially where, as in this case, said advice 'leads' in the direction of caution!:)

Very best regards
HP:)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Either the family doctor was wrong, or you misunderstood him/her.

Yes, MEK is eliminated from the body quite quickly. It can facilitate the toxicity of other toxic compounds, but by itself, it is relatively non-toxic.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
For every adage, there is a counter adage. "err on the side of caution" can be countered with "he who hesitates is lost," "fear mongering" and "analysis paralysis."

Shortbus's comment was clearly directed that the toxicity of MEK in the general population and was wrong.

John

For every adage, there is a counter adage. "err on the side of caution" can be countered with "he who hesitates is lost," "fear mongering" and "analysis paralysis."

Shortbus's comment was clearly directed that the toxicity of MEK in the general population and was wrong.

John
I hear ya!:cool:

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
At one time in the UK just about every household had a bottle of carbon tet to be used to remove stains from clothing. The only proviso was that one shouldn't smoke whilst using the chemical as inhaling it through a burning cigarette could produce phosgene; a gas too well known to men in the UK who had served in World War 1.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
At one time in the UK just about every household had a bottle of carbon tet to be used to remove stains from clothing. The only proviso was that one shouldn't smoke whilst using the chemical as inhaling it through a burning cigarette could produce phosgene; a gas too well known to men in the UK who had served in World War 1.
Interesting. Phosgene production in that way may depend on the co-presence of carbon monoxide. A related compound, chloroform, is well know to form phosgene by reaction with oxygen in air. As a result, most chloroform is stabilized by addition of alcohol or some other compound to prevent that reaction or to react with any phosgene formed.

John