dallas ds12887 test/replace

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronis whiz, Jul 2, 2014.

1. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I got a about 10-14 yr. old computer network devise with one of these in it. I see no normal CMOS type battery, so assume it's inside this package. I want to know:
    A: can the battery be tested from any of the pins, if so which ones.
    B: if there is battery output on the pins would it work to add some external battery like a standard CR2032 in a socket.
    C: what would be the chances of opening up the package, and wiring in that way.

I know I could replace it, but the device is like $12-15 which I just can't see investing in something this old, and don't really need Not to mention have little idea even runs properly. And all the work to do the soldering.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
  3. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info, may try that. Unfortunately Hitachi in there wisdom found was good idea to solder it on for some reason. Could make getting this done a bit tricky. I know i could de-solder, but i'm not sure how the board will handle that being so old. I have 2 of these things, and will grab 2 more next time.

I still have a few pieces of the system to pick up including a unit with 2 more of these boards with this chip device one it. I only need 2 of the 4 so i'll have a couple extras incase i mess up doing the dissection of the Dallas RTC unit.

Looks like a few other people are wanting to do something similar too =). I was doing research I was pretty surprised they still sell these things. Only place i've seen these is old PC from like 1995 then the newer have standard CMOS cell, and something on the MOBO. I figured surly would have been discontinued years ago.