Dallas Cop Killer's Rifle

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
It seems to me that the definition of a "criminal act" is different where you and I live than on Capital hill.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember hearing anyone talk about taking away all your guns.
What I have heard is them talking about limiting the capabilities of them and making them harder to get by criminals and the mentally disturbed.
On the surface it appears this isn't going to happen anytime soon, so we should not be surprised or express fake outrage that more people are killed with better weapons.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember hearing anyone talk about taking away all your guns.
What I have heard is them talking about limiting the capabilities of them and making them harder to get by criminals and the mentally disturbed.
On the surface it appears this isn't going to happen anytime soon, so we should not be surprised or express fake outrage that more people are killed with better weapons.
We have plenty of laws that control gun trade. For example, every time I bought a gun (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns) from licensed dealer, the dealer made a phone call to check my background, I passed just fine. The problem is not the laws, we have plenty of them already, more laws are not going to change things dramatically. The problem is that laws are enforced SELECTIVELY. I blame the administration in the White House for enforcing some laws and ignoring other laws.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
We have plenty of laws that control gun trade. For example, every time I bought a gun (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns) from licensed dealer, the dealer made a phone call to check my background, I passed just fine. The problem is not the laws, we have plenty of them already, more laws are not going to change things dramatically. The problem is that laws are enforced SELECTIVELY. I blame the administration in the White House for enforcing some laws and ignoring other laws.
Well, just looking at the last 2 I see no law preventing their purchase of a gun.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
That's effectively legislating, the domains of Congress.

Yet Republicans in Congress are quiter than mouse on that.
No. Legislation is making NEW laws.
We DO NOT NEED new laws. We need White House to enforce the laws that we ALREADY HAVE. The White House is enforcing the laws they like, they ignore the laws that they don't like. And when they can not find a law they need, they just write executive order. No offense to you, but this looks more and more like monarchy. Again, no offense to you, but I did not immigrate to US to be subject of a king. If I wanted to stay a lowly peasant, I would have stayed in Russia.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
No. Legislation is making NEW laws.
We DO NOT NEED new laws. We need White House to enforce the laws that we ALREADY HAVE. The White House is enforcing the laws they like, they ignore the laws that they don't like. And when they can not find a law they need, they just write executive order. No offense to you, but this looks more and more like monarchy. Again, no offense to you, but I did not immigrate to US to be subject of a king. If I wanted to stay a lowly peasant, I would have stayed in Russia.
You may be blaming the wrong branch of government. Here is a "clip" that gives an example of one of the latest flaps.
They need to fund the laws we have not just mandate them.

Each year Congress provides the Department resources for the prioritized removal of a portion of
those living unlawfully in the United States. DHS allocates its resources to
address the highest risks,
targeting criminal aliens who pose a threat to public safety, recent border crossers, and employers
who ignore our immigration laws.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You may be blaming the wrong branch of government. Here is a "clip" that gives an example of one of the latest flaps.
They need to fund the laws we have not just mandate them.

Each year Congress provides the Department resources for the prioritized removal of a portion of
those living unlawfully in the United States. DHS allocates its resources to
address the highest risks,
targeting criminal aliens who pose a threat to public safety, recent border crossers, and employers
who ignore our immigration laws.
Ok. You are taking the money angel.
Here is alternative. Instead of trying to find individuals, which is expansive and time consuming, put a guard force on the boarder and I am not talking about the effing dumbest possible system in the world where a few hundred border agents watch tens of thousands of miles of boarder. Use army, the troops need field experience anyway, they get paid the same if they sit on their buts on the base or driving around in humvees so there is not net loss of funds. With the border actually physically guarded, there will be no need for even special department, we could close down DHS, fold the remaining much smaller group of agents back into FBI and let the FBI do it effing job of catching spies, criminals who don't fall under purview of individual states, breakers of federal regulations.

And yes, you don't need to remind me that DHS was created by Bush administration. To me he was lesser of two evils. However, I do note that he at least maintained the appearance that we are a constitutional republic and he did not rule the country by executive order, which puts him way above the current resident of the White House.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Ok. You are taking the money angel.
Here is alternative. Instead of trying to find individuals, which is expansive and time consuming, put a guard force on the boarder and I am not talking about the effing dumbest possible system in the world where a few hundred border agents watch tens of thousands of miles of boarder. Use army, the troops need field experience anyway, they get paid the same if they sit on their buts on the base or driving around in humvees so there is not net loss of funds. With the border actually physically guarded, there will be no need for even special department, we could close down DHS, fold the remaining much smaller group of agents back into FBI and let the FBI do it effing job of catching spies, criminals who don't fall under purview of individual states, breakers of federal regulations.

And yes, you don't need to remind me that DHS was created by Bush administration. To me he was lesser of two evils. However, I do note that he at least maintained the appearance that we are a constitutional republic and he did not rule the country by executive order, which puts him way above the current resident of the White House.
I'm not sure I want to touch this one. :eek:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I'm not sure I want to touch this one. :eek:
You could point out that there is an old law or regulation that prohibits the use of army inside the country. But I agree with you, we had a nice and somewhat productive discussion about politics which is somewhat on the tangent for this thread. You proposed to wrap it up and I agree to stop. It was good talking to you.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
There's a reason for that too. Bush was never treated/vilified from his inauguration like Obama has been.
lol I remember all the SNL skits about how big a simpleton/stupid Bush was. Or the 60 Minutes story that was a lie and which caused Dan Rather? to be fired, but no, 60 Minutes could not have been bothered to check the story before they aired it, they aired it, got caught, fired the point man.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You could point out that there is an old law or regulation that prohibits the use of army inside the country.
The Posse Comitatus Act prevents the use of the Army and Air Force from enforcing domestic policies. Is protecting our international borders domestic? Is illegal immigration domestic policy or foreign invasion?

The act does not apply to the army or air national guard operating under the governors orders in their home state or another state by invitation.