D204B PIR sensor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by telerian, Dec 29, 2010.

1. telerian

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I have the D204B PIR sensor and the BISS0001 chip to work with it. I have reversed the D and S on the sensor and now after fixing it, the circuit in the data sheet (http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0038/9582/files/BISS0001.pdf) does not work, it just closes the relay even if there is no one in front of the sensor. Do you think I might have damaged the sensor ?

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes.

John

3. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Assuming that you mean that you swapped Vdd & Vss,... yes you could have. BTW, you did put a protection diode across the relay coil, didn't you?

4. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    I wired the D and G in place of each other so D was grounded and G was on 5V. I have a diode across the relay coil. Is there a way I can check if the sensor is still good or damaged ?, I mean with a voltmeter or something ?

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Which was it, D and S or D and G reversed? Do you know? Are you sure? Do you have the datasheet for the sensor?

John

6. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    I attached the datasheet of the sensor, I reversed the D and G as the Source was difficult to confuse (it is in the middle)

I made the first post late at night after almost 9 hours working on this circuit

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Page 3 shows how to test it. John

8. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    I have seen this one but this requires an oscilloscope, I was looking for a simple test as I just want to know if it is damaged or not

9. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Using a DVM; what is the DC voltage between GND and the Source (S), that connects to pin 14 of the BISS0001?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    At 1 Hz, you do not need an oscilloscope. I voltmeter sould be enough to see whether the sensor is responding.

John

11. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    The voltage is 0.54V DC

12. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    How do I test with a DVM ?

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Look at the picture on page 3 of the sensor's datasheet, i.e., the one you reviewed. You basically set a test up as shown, you may or may not need a buffer/amplifier (depending on your DVM), then you get a heat source of 150°C ±15°, chop it at about 1 Hz (almost any thing would work, including heavy cardboard) and see whether the output changes when exposed vs. when shielded from the heat.

As best I can remember, that is what the datasheet says to do to test the device. Obviously, the sensor is designed for lower temperatures too, but use of 150°C is an extreme case to see if it works at all.

John

14. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    What do you mean by chopping it ?, you mean I put the cardboard between the heat source and the sensor ?

15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Chopping = interrupting the light source. It is usually done with a mechanical slit or shutter/disk rather than turning it on and off.

That is how you tell IR on from IR off voltage.
    John

16. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    I tried the test and here is what I got
    The DC voltage on the 47K resistor (S to ground) is 0.5 in normal conditions
    Using the heat source (my soldering iron) the voltage goes up to 2V and drops rapidly to 0.5V. I am not sure what this means.
    The strange thing is that I was using the 5V source from the circuit I made (the one in the BISS0001 datasheet) and I found out that once I fed it power the relay would close even when the sensor not being connected which means pin 14 is only connected to the capacitor and the resistor !!
    The diode is being connected to 2N2222A transistor

17. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    A change form 0.5 to 2.0 volts seems to indicate that the sensor works. If your circuit doesn't work, I would focus on how you wired the interface/amplifier IC. If you have an oscilloscope, you can troubleshoot that part easily. But, since you don't, can you borrow one?

John

18. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    Unfortunately, I can't borrow one but I did check the circuit several times. My doubt was around the transistor, is the one I used ok ?. I removed R1, R3 in the diagram and just connected pin 9 to 5V. I am wondering how the IC is giving a high output even with the sensor not connected

19. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    If the relay is on all the time and you want to check the NPN Transistor... just short the base to the emitter or GND. If the relay doesn't drop out you have a bad or improperly oriented transistor.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  20. telerian

Jul 19, 2010
    I shorted the base to the emitter and the relays opens. I have 0v on pin 14 and vo (pin 3) is 1.8V and this is causing the relay to close