D.C. motor problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ke4vbg, May 16, 2008.

1. ke4vbg

Thread Starter New Member

May 16, 2008
    Help, my wife's treadmill is giving me a fit. The controller board went south, so I installed a different one that I got at work through storeroom cleanout. The motor is rated at 1.5 HP and the board is too. Both are 90vdc and the mill will run just fine. I set up the board according to the instructions that came with it. It operates fine for 10 minutes, under load, then the motor starts smelling and getting hot. It does not heat up much if you run it unloaded. The brushes look fine and are of adequate length. Could the motor have burnt up the other controller board by having a problem.

Thanks

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I'd say your motor went south (burnt windings), and took out the other controller board. If you keep running it, it's a race between this new controller board burning out and the motor catching on fire! :eek:

Check the motor carefully to see if it's air vents are clogged with lint, dust, or whatever debris. If it's been running hot due to no air circulation, it's likely that it is no longer safe.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    PM on treadmills require a yearly lubrication of the conveyor belt. When is the last time you've done it? You could be overloading the motor if you haven't.