Cutting LCD lenses?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just about any place that sells window glass or repairs windows has the Lexan now days.

The sandwiching between wood idea also works for sawing too.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Just about any place that sells window glass or repairs windows has the Lexan now days.

The sandwiching between wood idea also works for sawing too.
True, but they want a high price for what you can get from a wholesaler's scrap bin for next to nothing and as I mentioned, you may as well stock up at the prices they're willing to sell if for.

Sawing or drilling through any plastic can be a pain but as mentioned many times above sandwiching it between some wood pieces will help a bit, however then the heat builds up more readily. Even though it's rarely practical a water bath can be of some help and only experimentation will find you the right blade and speed at which you can cut.

Can you be more specific as to the exact dimensions of what you're trying to make and the resources you have on hand as far as tools go?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sawing or drilling through any plastic can be a pain but as mentioned many times above sandwiching it between some wood pieces will help a bit, however then the heat builds up more readily.
I have never used a wood sandwich. Sounds like a dreadful thing to try on a table saw.

Even though it's rarely practical a water bath can be of some help and only experimentation will find you the right blade and speed at which you can cut.
That's because you are thinking of a water bath. Try a water sponge. Cheap, cellulosic sponge, just wet, not dripping. Position it so the blade cuts the sponge and plastic at the same time. Also works great for cutting ferrite or glass with an abrasive cut-off wheel. For drilling, all I use are a few drops of water.

John

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
We still don't know exactly what he's trying to cut as far as size goes, that makes all the difference in the world.

If you turn a circular saw blade backwards it goes through this stuff with ease, even mounted in the correct position it does pretty well but chipping is more of a possibility unless you're good at your feed speed. It helps that the stuff you get from a wholesaler (and most places) has that backing paper on it but it's still no guarantee.

If you need a certain part at a higher volume level than just for experimentation the wholesale plastics places are often quite reasonable as far as cutting them for you perfectly, if they're not really busy you might be able to talk them into making a few for nothing if you mention it's only for a prototype and may be needing them in volume in the future.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As I said in my orginal post, I plan to use the lexan for two reasons. First as a cover or lens for a LCD display.

I also think it might make a nice control panel for a few other projects. Mount the buttons, display, LEDs whatever to a lexan sheet and mount the sheet and pcb to a board and your done.

I did try looking in the YP first thing for scrap plastic but not much luck here. But I have to admit I did not look real hard., But if it comes to making lots of phone calls it is probably a lot better use of my time if I just bought new.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Naw, you just aren't looking close enough in your YP. Start by looking for plastics then wholesale.

If you'd finish filling out your profile as far as location I'm sure I could find you several not far away. It's also nice to have the choice of the different colors such as slightly smoked or light bronze. If a red LED readout is the target then it looks better behind red, etc. and they have all of that.

Just let me know what town you're located in and I grab you a local supplier's # or two.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Naw, you just aren't looking close enough in your YP. Start by looking for plastics then wholesale.

If you'd finish filling out your profile as far as location I'm sure I could find you several not far away. It's also nice to have the choice of the different colors such as slightly smoked or light bronze. If a red LED readout is the target then it looks better behind red, etc. and they have all of that.

Just let me know what town you're located in and I grab you a local supplier's # or two.
It is in my profile. I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

I appreciate it!