Customer windows driver for media control

Soundshark

Joined Jul 19, 2009
Hi I have a fair knowledge of electronics and have decided to under take my self a small project and build a multi function foot switch for controlling media players on stage for when im singing. I have made my prototype from an old usb keyboard and buttons removed from a old serial mouse. I may change this later date to use a usb game pad or even build a whole new board based on the PIC18F4550

Now here's the tricky bit :) I have a small app called RM-X media edition which allows me to assign any received input as a control, currently

SPACE - PLAY/PAUSE
1 - BACK
2 FORWARD

I picked these because they where easy and used the same common ground on the keyboard controller.

What im hopping todo is edit the standard driver files that windows uses for this device to allow it to show as its own device i.g "Soundshark foot switch"

The second part is to rename the commands as it is windows see the inputs as keyboard strokes I want to edit these again to read as there respective functions in the RM-X software.

I hope this is enough information and makes sense Any help at all on this matter would be fantastic.

Thanks Anthony

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
If I remember correctly you can hook into the OS message queue. You could hook into the keyboard messages, process the ones you are interested in and pass the rest to Windows for further processing.