Custom Wiring for my Philips Shelf Stereo!

BrandonV

Joined Aug 8, 2011
I purchased a Philips shelf stereo system with the intent to use my in-wall speakers instead of the speakers supplied. However, this unit has two sets of outputs for each speaker. :( One set is for the low frequencies (Base and mid range) and the other is for higher frequencies (mid range and tweeters). Unfortunately if I hook my in-wall speakers to either output, I lose a huge range of sound. Does anyone know how to SAFELY wire both sets of outputs to a normal speaker? Please see wiring diagram below:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
What is your experience level then it comes to electronics. Like are you able to solder. If you tell us it will be more easy to help you. By the way do you have any data for the in-wall speakers. Like frequency range for the different in-wall speakers

BrandonV

Joined Aug 8, 2011
What is your experience level then it comes to electronics. Like are you able to solder. If you tell us it will be more easy to help you. By the way do you have any data for the in-wall speakers. Like frequency range for the different in-wall speakers
Yes I have no problems soldering. However, I prefer not to solder to the stereo unit. I may resell this at some point in time..

The in-wall speakers are pretty full range for an in-wall speaker. However, I don't have the technical specifications for those speakers.

As you can see, each original shelf speaker has two wires coming from it. I believe one is for the tweeter and the other is for the woofer. Therefore the source is crossed over, reducing base to the tweeter and highs from the woofer..

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In non active speakers this is done by a passive filter. It is not that difficult to create such a filter. But as we do not know the frequency range for the two speakers inside your in-wall speakers. I do not we can help you more than providing design guidelines for such type of filter

BrandonV

Joined Aug 8, 2011
In non active speakers this is done by a passive filter. It is not that difficult to create such a filter. But as we do not know the frequency range for the two speakers inside your in-wall speakers. I do not we can help you more than providing design guidelines for such type of filter
30hz - 15,000hz

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I would look inside the amplifier housing to find out if there's separate amplifiers (active crossovers) or just some passive arrangement that can be easily bypassed. I suspect the latter.