Custom Sunroof Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesen

Joined Dec 9, 2012
Hi guys

I'm currently trying too design a circuit too operate a sunroof i have installed in my Project car but i also want it too be universal so other people could use it, only thing is i have limited knowledge of circuit design...

The roof simple works off a single motor with polarities switched too go in either direction.

The desired result would be too have 3 presets "closed" "open" and "popped". thinking that all that is needed is a button too be pressed sending a signal for the desired amount of time in the correct direction,

I was thinking a 555 timer circuit with trim pots too adjust the time to different models would be great... but sadly i am only learning about them now.

Anyone keen too lend a hand or point me in the right direction?

Regards,
Meesen

(Hope this meets the forum rules as it is not in any way modifying the cars circuitry)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Isn't your sunroof motor going to be powered from your car's battery? I don't see a way to not classify this under car modification.

Meesen

Joined Dec 9, 2012
Yes this will be running off a 12volt source such as a car battery but is only in a car that is for show only and i do not see how this breaches forum rules as it will not be Automotive as the car has no running gear...

For the sake of it: it could be a simple 12volt circuit lighting up 3 different leds for different duration's, same thing but stepping around the whole "Automotive modification"

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'm assuming this will be the entire control circuit for the sunroof?

If so, you'll need an H-Bridge w/current sense for controlling motor direction (and optionally, speed). You'll need the current sense to stop the motor if the load suddenly increases.

Some sort of feedback to the controlling logic stating that the sunroof is at one of the 3 specified locations. If it is for show car only where it will always be displayed in 70 to 80 degree weather, and the sunroof tracks/motor are used rarely enough that they won't degrade, a timer will work.

There are a few solutions to this, most involve a small microcontroller.

You'll need power filtering, due to alternator noise spikes, engine noise, etc. Input capacitor and resistor to reduce the spike, and order all components as "automotive rated". Cars are about the most brutal environment one can put electronics in. (Saltwater boats are the worst). Due to temp ranges, voltage instabilities and noise, physical vibrations, and extreme temperature ranges both while in storage and while operating. This is the reason for getting "Automotive rated" components, they are built to withstand the vibration and temp range.

One may think a car has a smooth ride and there isn't any vibration, but if you put an accelerometer on a table inside the house, then compare to what a smooth riding car shows for vibration, it's rather harsh.

Those are the "high points" to keep in mind as you work on this project.

I'll wait for input from a moderator as to if this thread should go on or not.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I saw what you wrote, but I'm not sure sure what you meant. By no "running gear" this car can not be driven? Or does it not drive on streets? Could you please explain further?

Meesen

Joined Dec 9, 2012
This Car cannot be driven, it doesn't even have an engine in it!

@KMoffett - I believe forums are for learning and that other could benefit if they want too undertake a similar project that fits within the forum rules,

@thatoneguy - Thanks for your insight, id love it if you could go into more detail, at the moment i am searching basic circuits "555 timers, H-Bridge's etc" and basically putting them together as i would think they would work together.

I will keep in mind the automotive rated components for future projects but for this it will not need too withstand vibrations apart from ones of Sound Pressure Levels,

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
After a day or so of debating, the moderating team decided to close this thread. It constitutes a car modification of intervening nature, plus it applies to all legal cars.

Please understand the reasons behind this action and bear no grudge.
Feel free to tread on the rest of the forums.

You may find answers to your questions in one of the links provided here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Status
Not open for further replies.