CURRENT

tjjam2003

Joined Apr 5, 2006
A 12-volt electric golf cart motor consumes power at the rate of 500 watts. Wgat is the current drain from the battery?? Which formula do I use to figure out the answer of: 41.67 amps?? How do I write it out??

paultwang

Joined Mar 8, 2006
Originally posted by tjjam2003@Apr 8 2006, 08:08 AM
A 12-volt electric golf cart motor consumes power at the rate of 500 watts. Wgat is the current drain from the battery?? Which formula do I use to figure out the answer of: 41.67 amps?? How do I write it out??
[post=15975]Quoted post[/post]​
1) You have asked very similar questions in other posts. Your recent behavior suggests that you are asking us to do your homework. You should have known how to solve this problem if you have understood the replies to another topic.

2) A personal suggestion: Please post all your further homework questions related to electr(ical/onics) in Homework forum. (Do not double-post those you already posted.)

3) For this problem, use the simplified formula Power = Voltage x Current

tjjam2003

Joined Apr 5, 2006
I'm sorry if you think I'm trying to take the easy way out. I can assure you that I am not. It has been to many years and I am really trying to learn this quick (by Monday.) I am just overwhelmed and really need your help.
Thank you all for your help so far. I am not trying to be a bother.....Sorry.

Originally posted by paultwang@Apr 8 2006, 10:49 AM
1) You have asked very similar questions in other posts. Your recent behavior suggests that you are asking us to do your homework. You should have known how to solve this problem if you have understood the replies to another topic.

2) A personal suggestion: Please post all your further homework questions related to electr(ical/onics) in Homework forum. (Do not double-post those you already posted.)

3) For this problem, use the simplified formula Power = Voltage x Current
[post=15979]Quoted post[/post]​

Nirvana

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Well we know that the Power consumed = 500W, and that the voltage is 12 Volts.
Now from the equation P = VI we can rearrange to get I;
I = P/V = 500/12 = 41.67A

Nirvana.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As a clarification of of calculating power there are 3 main equations which can be derived from each other using Ohm's Law (I = V/R):

1) P = VI

2) Substitue in I = V/R into equation 1:

P = V*(V/R)

P = (V^2)/R

3) Rearrange Ohm's Law to get V as the subject: V = I*R

Substitute this into equation 1:

P = (I*R)*I

P = (I^2)*R

So depending on what information you have to hand for the particular question, use the appropriate equation.

Dave