1. indiansiva555@gmail.com

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Why the current tester does not indicate flow of current when tested in neutral line under load?..(try this by placing the tester on the neutral lead of the plug when current is flowing to the load, it is possible when the leads are not plugged completely)..
    I knew that this is a silly question.....please clear my doubt...

2. roadey_carl

Jun 5, 2009
    What tester are you using? there are a few out there? also what is the load you are connecting to?

3. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    If the tester is a voltage detector, of the sort that depends on the potential between the line and the operator's hand (which should be closer to ground potential), it is normal to get an indication from the live only.

Please explain what kind of tester you are using. How do you connect it to the plug, just by touching one terminal, and holding the other end of the tester?

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Please post make and model number of your tester, or a link to the product page where it was purchased from.

We will be able to give much clearer answers once we know exactly what you are working with.

5. indiansiva555@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2011
    Yes, I used to place the lead(front end) of the tester on neutral and hold the other end. It is a screwdriver cum current tester

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    This is a voltage detector: it responds to live wires. In normal conditions the neutral wire should be close to ground potential, so there will not be enough voltage present to show up on the detector.

7. indiansiva555@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2011
    Is there anything like current detector?

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes, there is a current meter that looks like a C-clamp that loops around the AC carrying wire.