current step down

pradeeba

Joined Feb 27, 2008
I need a constant current of 5mA for my circuit operation. i have already derived constant current of about 25mA from PWM constant current generator IC for my wide range of input voltage. now i wanted to convert that 25mA to 5mA. How will i do that?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Since you haven't provided any real detail I cannot comment further, but you will have to create a suitable current sink for the other 20 mA, in parallel with your load.

pradeeba

Joined Feb 27, 2008
I need a constant current generator of 5mA for the input voltage range of 85 to 265 VDC. i got an IC HV9921 from which i can generate 20mA constant current. but i need 5mA output only. how to do that?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Do you know what a constant current is or have any idea of the implications of what you are asking?

So far you have stated that you have constant current supply of 30mA, 25mA and now 20mA.

Whatever your supply is it will adjust its output voltage to create that current in the load. Full stop . Period.

Therefore whatever is left over from the 5mA you say you want has to go somewhere. You cannot restrict the supply to 5mA.

You have been told this by myself and the other poster here, who seems to have given up.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
pradeeba. You need to clarify further what your application for this is. It'll be easier for people to realize what you are trying to do and thus help you attain what you are looking for. Since without a context, simply stating that you need 30mA to 5mA and that you can't use a current divider doesnt get you far.