current sensor based on Rogowski coil

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by abadi, Nov 8, 2009.

1. abadi

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    hi guys
    dont know what to say

im just having my final year project and its about "current sensor based on Rogowski coil"

and i have read alots about it in enter net ,

but my problem is , i dont know how to start my project :(

so, i hope you guys can help me on that :

how to start this project ???????????

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Your problem is probably not so much about where to start - rather about the vague definition of your design goal. A project about "current sensor based on Rogowski coil" is too general.

As a starting point write a brief specification possibly including things like

1. What you need to measure, including the magnitude, frequency and type(s) of waveform.
    2. What output signal type & range for a given input current type & range you need.
    3. What form of indication - CRO, meter (average, RMS, etc) ????

Once you can answer some of these questions, that might help you make some decisions about design & construction.

4. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Are you looking for a particular inductance or coil size? One reference that might help you is: Inductance Calculations by Grover, ISBN 0 486 49577 9.

Cheers, DPW

[There is no computerized explorer with more than a tiny fraction of the power contained in the chemical analog computer known as the human brain, whose reproduction is easily accomplished by un-skilled labor. WVB]

5. hithere

Nov 7, 2009
  6. abadi

Nov 8, 2009
    thanx guys :)
    for the help :D
    i will do my best and try to figur-out my project
    and i will be back :D
    wait for me :D

thanx alots

7. abadi

Nov 8, 2009
    hi guys :)
    im back
    i just want to ask , how can i design the coil ?? is it like bring a plastic shape and round it by a wire or what ?
    or there must be special wire ??

8. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Do you have any idea as to the size of coil you need? The first step is to find a ring form for winding the coil. Just now I see a coiled poly air hose in my garage, 5" in OAD and 1/2" in tube OD. Cutting a section of this, I can stretch it out and wind a 2 wire coil easily by hand, using any magnet wire size I desire. Winding 2 wires allows both leads to terminate on one end. Using 18 AWG wire, you will need 2 lengths about 40' each. Do you see it now?

Cheers, DPW[Spent years making heaters out of op-amps]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  9. abadi

Nov 8, 2009
    thanx bro, i already did it :D

now what type of the amplifier i have to use ?? and why i have to use amplifier ??
    and some of the the circuit they use filter also ?? whyyyyy