current sensing using ADC of microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishal

Joined Oct 12, 2011
I need a current sensor for MPPT based charge controller of max 10A current flowing.
Since the controller shouldn't be expensive, I don't want dedicated current sensors. So I have 2 alternatives:
1) Measuring voltage across Rsense using Op-amp.
2) Measuring voltage across Rsense by ADC of microcontroller.
I was wondered why no one is talking about using micro-controller for current sensing.
Upto now I plan to go for option 2. But please if there are certain things I must consider or if you have a better option, please suggest.

Bishal Paudel

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The input voltage range of the ADC is almost certainly more than you want to drop across a current sense resistor.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You will have to use an opamp to amplify the voltage across Rsense anyway. But using a ground based Rsense in this case will work just fine. And it will be much simpler than using a differential approach. Like option 1.
For precession current measurement. A 10 bit ADC will not be quite optional. And I guess that is why you can not find much about it. But again in your application. If you can utilize the full of the ADC measurement span. I guess it will work fine

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think I will use 0.001 ohm resistor or lower. SO the drop will be less than 0.1V.
And the input voltage range of a microcontroller's ADC is typically going to be 10 to 50 times that, meaning that you will be losing 3 to 6 bits of resolution right off the bat. Unless you go back to option #1 and use an opamp to amplify the signal to something that better matches the MCU's input range.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Not the worst idea... though the national code does not allow resistors in the return leg so this is a hobby use only design.

Your amp has a gain of about 134. The sense resistor will have it's max drop of 10A * .01 ohms or 0.01 volts. So it's output is 13.4 volts... a little large don't you think?

I didn't check the specs of the LM2904 but it must include a voltage range down to ground, as that is the low end of your signal.

When I do this I use a high side current sense chip. Maxim and several other places make them.

bishal

Joined Oct 12, 2011
i modified my design as that of 3A, sorry for that as I am now doing only for 40 watt panel. so I think the voltage out max will be 4V.

Engr_KHAN

Joined Apr 13, 2014
Not the worst idea... though the national code does not allow resistors in the return leg so this is a hobby use only design.

Your amp has a gain of about 134. The sense resistor will have it's max drop of 10A * .01 ohms or 0.01 volts. So it's output is 13.4 volts... a little large don't you think?

I didn't check the specs of the LM2904 but it must include a voltage range down to ground, as that is the low end of your signal.

When I do this I use a high side current sense chip. Maxim and several other places make them.
I want a circuit which will sense the current input from PV or a 12 volt battery plus the output current drawn by load. A microcontroller has to sense the current and switch accordingly..... Is there any efficient method.... As to ADC usually a voltage is input and to be compared and digitized.... any idea or sensing circuit in proteus plz???????????

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I want a circuit which will sense the current input from PV or a 12 volt battery plus the output current drawn by load. A microcontroller has to sense the current and switch accordingly..... Is there any efficient method.... As to ADC usually a voltage is input and to be compared and digitized.... any idea or sensing circuit in proteus plz???????????
For complete isolation use a Hall effect sensor. Most will directly interface with the ADC. http://ampsolution.com/AMPSOLUTION.html

praj3328

Joined Jan 29, 2015
how to detect blockage in seeder nozzle using sensoro_O. option of using light and photodiode is not allowed:(
plz inform me if any other option is there:)

Status
Not open for further replies.