Current sensing circuit

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
Hi all,

continuing from my previous posts let me give an explanation of what I want to do.
I already have built a circuit that gives me an interrupt on a 12V input for 2 minutes through a 555 timer and a relay, as well as a 2 minute delay based upon a CMOS 4000 series and a selection of resistors and capacitors. What I wan to do is to trigger this circuit with a threshold of 1A. If current Is lower than 1A to have an output of 12V or 11V otherwise when current is higher than 1A to have an output of 0V.
The purpose of this circuit is to build a circuit that will detect is a pc box is on or off. When the box is off I want to cut-off the voltage supply(current 1A or less) for 1 minute and then give it back to the circuit, otherwise the circuit should stay neutral for.

Attachments

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
I am after the circuit that will sense the current and give an output towards the rest of the circuit I already have.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
so basically u want a way to sense load current and produce a proportional output voltage for the circuit above

achilez

Joined Mar 23, 2010
What do you mean by proportional?
He probably means

Main Entry: proportional
a : corresponding in size, degree, or intensity
b
: having the same or a constant ratio <corresponding sides of similar triangles are proportional>
E.g., a current through a small sense resistor will cause a voltage drop over the resistor. The voltage drop will be proportional to the current, as per Ohm's Law.

cagriaksu

Joined Jun 7, 2010
it took my attention that you are gonna integrate this circuit to a pc right?
Are you trying to auto-boot a pc whenever it shuts down?

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
ok I see what you mean achilez and that is exactly what I want to do along with the spec I have set on my first post!

What I want to do cagriaksu is to have a system that would perform a power cut to the box when the box is detected to be off. I found that when the box I have is of consumes 1A and while operating more than that (max 3.6A). this would get in line with the 12V power supply of my box.

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
When the box is off(not in stand by/hybernate or something similar) the current consumption is 1A. I know that this sounds weird but it is true...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just buy a properly rated current shunt. Typically they have a 0-50mv (or 60 or 100mv) output depending on the amount of current through them. Your shunt should be derated by 33% to avoid overheating which will throw off the calibration of the shunt.