Current Not Working on DMM

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by ElectronicsFanatic, May 16, 2012.

1. ElectronicsFanatic

Thread Starter Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I have a picture to show the circuit on my breadboard. I can't seem to get a reading as to the current for the circuit. Do I have it set up right to get the current reading from the DMM. I know it will be a little hard to see in the picture, but I do have all the wires in the right holes and I have checked to make sure that I still have power going through the circuit. Let me know what you guys think. I think I might have blown a fuse in the DMM.

[​IMG]

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    ElectronicsFanatic likes this.
  3. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Your meter appears to be on AC amps? Is that correct?

KJ6EAD and ElectronicsFanatic like this.
  4. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Nice catch.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes, the display says AC. I believe he needs to press the orange button to measure DC.

6. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    That was always getting me on my Fluke. My Agilent meter starts off in DC current though. :)

7. ElectronicsFanatic

Thread Starter Member

Feb 12, 2012
    sorry for the slow reply, I have been at work. I set up the circuit again and tried to see if it was because I had it set to ac instead of dc. It still didn't work. I forgot that I had another cheap DMM. So i hooked that up and I was able to get a measure.

[​IMG]

I also checked the fuse like KJ6EAD suggested and it is saying that the fuse is blown. Thanks for the help!!

8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Unless you are an electrician it would seem logical to start in the DC mode since most electronic voltage measurements involve DC.