current measurement of 100KAmps

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jawsal, May 19, 2010.

1. jawsal

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2010
    We are developing a system requiring DC-current monitoring up to 100kA.

What type of sensor and measurement system do you recommend for such an application?

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Ummm, nothing that I have ever come across.

I would start by contacting FLUKE or other high end manufacturers, and see what they have available. They have a panel division.

What types of voltages are you dealing with at 100,000A ?

You may need a transducer capable of the measurement, rather than a "multimeter"

I would look into sub-panel meters. Obviously your not looking for a handheld. Are you? :eek:

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. kingdano

Apr 14, 2010
    if hes looking for a handheld, he wont have a hand for long.

*crickets*

:(

4. jawsal

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2010
    we are thinking of using linear hall sensor but the problem is taht the magnetic field around is very large and its out of the sensor range

5. jamjes

May 10, 2010
    If you just need a reading,

Move the hall sensor further away?

6. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    The two methods that pop into my mind are Hall effect sensors and measuring the voltage drop across a known resistor. If the field is too large for the sensor, then either move it farther away as jamjes suggested (since this is such an obvious tactic, you probably have some constraints you haven't told us about) or figure out a way to have the sensor see a smaller field.

If it were me, I'd try to measure a voltage drop first, as the conductor is presumably already there -- all you have to do is measure its resistance.

You might also look up the technology used on World War 2 Gato class submarines -- a book I read said the generator currents flowing through the conductors approached a million amps under emergency conditions. :p

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  8. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks, mcgyvr -- I had forgotten all about the Faraday effect and didn't know it was used for current measurements.

9. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    I have a friend who works in the Aluminium smelting industry where currents of this order of magnitude are "routine". Nobody gets to take any magnetisable tools anywhere near the bus-bars when the current is on.