Current limiting in battery charging circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by johndeaton, Aug 1, 2016.

1. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Hi All,

I am trying to design a custom lithium ion battery charging circuit. I thought about using a simple zener diode regulator circuit. I’ll be monitoring the voltage with R6 and R7 and cutting off the charging via Q1 when the battery reaches full charge. The circuit will work fine if the battery is close to full charge already. The problem will arise when the battery is very low. At that point it will try to draw more than the maximum current this circuit can source (~150 mA) at which point the zener will stop regulating.

My question is can I limit the current by pulsing Q1? I think the answer is no in this case? Is that correct? If not, what would you recommend to limit the current?

Thanks,
    John

Li-ion charger.JPG

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You would be better off using pwm on Q1 to charge it, using a series resistor to monitor the current.

3. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Hi Dave,

So you mean that I can limit the current by pulsing Q1? I thought maybe the battery would try to draw too much current during each on time.

Thanks,
    John

4. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    It would be safer, and probably cheaper in the long run, to use a dedicated Li-ion charger IC or module for the job. They are pretty picky about charging conditions.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Li-ion batteries can explode and catch fire if improperly charged.
    Follow Albert's suggestion and use a dedicated charger designed for Li-ion batteries.
    Unless, of course, you are in the running for this year's Darwin Award. :rolleyes:

6. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Hi all-

Thanks for your replies. For my own understanding... could I pulse Q1 to limit the current going to the battery or would it immediately draw too much current during the on time?

Thanks,
    John

7. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    If you pulse Q1 then you get PWM. It will draw lots of current during the on time, and no current during the off time. The average current is determined by the proportion of on time to off time. Providing everything can cope with the maximum current - the power supply, battery, etc. - then that would work.

8. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Got it. Thanks. In that case, I think the answer is no. It makes me wonder how the packaged IC battery charging chips work. The internal block diagram looks like they are just pulsing the output. Here is the block diagram from the ST Micro STBC08PMR chip.

upload_2016-8-2_6-26-24.png

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  9. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    I think that chip number may be wrong, I can't find a datasheet for it. Such chips generally use an inductor which averages out the PWM current for the battery.

10. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
  11. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    In that case it is using the mosfets in a linear mode, not using PWM.

johndeaton likes this.
  12. johndeaton

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2015
    That makes sense. Thanks for helping with my understanding.