Current drawn by iphone.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by supermankid, Dec 14, 2013.

1. supermankid

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2013
    A dedicated iphone charger can provide 1A 5V.
    How much current my phone would consume during charging ?

I have two other questions

1. Is the current limited by internal circuit inside phone?
    2. If I use bench power supply that can provide 3A 5V, will iphone take in all 3A and charge faster???

I am totally confused?
    Help :)

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Battery chemistry matters.

Can you use 3A to charge it? Yes, you can.
    Can you use 10A to charge it? Yes, you can.

It might work once, then you will need to replace the battery. How much does it cost to replace the battery for your iPhone?

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    1. I believe so.
    2. No. Because of 1.

4. supermankid

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2013
    thanks for your replies. That means...if i charge iphone with power supply that can supply more current....i dont have to worry beacause the currnet is internally limited right?

5. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Please don't rely on my "belief"!

I do believe most tablets and phones now have internal charge control, it is quite standard because the Li battery needs to be monitored for cell voltage and temperature internally in the phone during charging.

But before you blow up your iPhone you should google for any information on "my DIY iPhone charger" or "operation of iPhone charging" etc. That's all I would do. :)

6. mikeinkaty

Oct 21, 2013
    My new Iphone 5s seems to be charging much faster now than when I first got it (2 months ago). I turn it off at night and hook it to a wall charger. It charges fully in about 1 hour. I normally use a Samsung wall charger with a USB port to charge it. Today it went from 50% to 100% in about 20 minutes using the USB port in my car. I normally keep the GPS turned off.

Mike