Current detector recommendation?

bbiandov

Joined Nov 24, 2007
Hi everyone

I need a current detector recommendation? I am NOT looking to measure magnitude just simple on/off output which is triggered by pre-set level.

I am measuring AC amps on an 110v device so the sensor should be a split-core to facilitate installation. The appliance is NOT a high-load motor and that is the problem - most industrial sensors such as Veris require minimum load to trigger the output, a load which my appliance can not attain.

I can't tell you what amps I expect since I can't monkey with the unit in order to connect my meter and I don’t have one of those split core meters, mine is typical old multi meter which requires a total circuit interface for current measurement.

All I know is that the load is LESS than 1.5A since it can not trigger a Hawkeye Veris sensor which I have and that one requires min of 1.5A to trigger

The cable is pretty thick so I can't do the usual fix with multiple windings around the core of the sensor.

Thanks
~B

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
In looking at the datasheet for your splitcore current transformer, there is a section that suggests the use of multiple turns to increase the sensitivity of the current transformer. Is it possible that this approach may get you where you need to be with sensiticity?

hgmjr

bbiandov

Joined Nov 24, 2007
Thanks, I wish I can do this but the cable is way to thick to do turns around the core.

I guess I need a more sensitive sensor but who makes those? Veris seems to be focused on heavy loads...

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
Thanks, I wish I can do this but the cable is way to thick to do turns around the core.
I am sure you know that you must use a single conductor and not the whole cable! the whole cable around the core will not measure anything.

Alberto