Current Clamp Meter Accuracy

chevylu

Joined Aug 15, 2008
Is anyone familiar with the Current Clamp Meter kit available at http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5368&CATID=25&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=265

The kit appears to follow this article: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30669/article.html.

My multimeter has 5 DC Voltage ranges as follows:
Range.....Resolution
400mV.....100 microvolts
4V........1mv
40V.......10mV
400V......100mV
1000V.....1V

Do you think the kit would be able to provide accurate readings down to about 25 milliamps? I would like to use it to measure the parasitic battery drain on my car without having to insert the ammeter in line with a battery cable.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Not with the meter you have. 100uV = 0.1mV, and 0.1mV = 100mA current. You would need four times the resolution on your meter to be able to measure in increments of 25mA.

A 90mA constant drain on your vehicle's battery will likely result in discharging the battery sufficiently over a few weeks' time to discharge it enough so that you won't be able to start it without a jump, or recharging the battery.

It's hazardous to your meter attempting to measure current on a motor vehicle, an un-planned for sudden load (such as opening a door, a remote being activated, etc.) will at least blow the fuse.

Consider purchasing a 1 Ohm power resistor, and install it temporarily (for troubleshooting purposes) between the battery + terminal and the + lead. Since I=E/R, measuring the voltage drop across the 1 Ohm resistor will allow you to directly read the current being used by your vehicle. 1mV=1mA. Not as convenient as a clamp-on ammeter, but certainly less expensive.

As far as the clamp-on meter goes, I suppose it's output could be amplified - but I'm not going to pay for a subscription to Siliconchip.com.au for the privelidge of reading the article.