Current Adapter

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I know Dave Jones has built these but I want to know if someone here has played around with one of these or built there own????
Also have anyone ever built one with through hole components ??

Thanks
Jason SR

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've seen most of Dave's videos about the uCurrent but never seen one in person. The uCurrent Gold he just came out with seems top-notch, though I generally don't have a need to measure microamps.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I've seen most of Dave's videos about the uCurrent but never seen one in person. The uCurrent Gold he just came out with seems top-notch, though I generally don't have a need to measure microamps.
Why would you need to measure that small of a current? ?
I see people building them but how much use will they really have? ?

Thanks
Jason SR

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I've tried to do that and already prepared the parts, but the parts are too small, it's not easy to solder them, my friend said that he wanting to prepare the SMD PCB, but there is no message any more, so the parts still sleeping in the case.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If you have a Fluke, you already have a microamp meter.
I am running A fluke 87 Series I DMM.. Will hurt the meter or screw anything up? ??
I've tried to do that and already prepared the parts, but the parts are too small, it's not easy to solder them, my friend said that he wanting to prepare the SMD PCB, but there is no message any more, so the parts still sleeping in the case.
I will be building one myself when I get caught up..

I have one; don't use it much. Indispensable when you need it.
Thanks and I was thinking about getting one .. I also trying to see if anyone built here anything better or had another way of doing things???

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A fluke 87 can read to 0.01 uA with no tricks - although I like #12's mV trick on a 10M ohm input resistance.
I doubt it'll be accurate at all in that range, that's right down in the noise. Do you mean it has a 0.01uA resolution? That's another matter--still in the noise, but is not the main measurement.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I doubt it'll be accurate at all in that range, that's right down in the noise. Do you mean it has a 0.01uA resolution? That's another matter--still in the noise, but is not the main measurement.
You are right, I meant to imply that uAmps are easily measured with many modern handheld meters.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would never trust a flicker in the least significant digit, but I have used that "trick" and found the results to seem perfectly accurate. Look at this old Vbe/Ic graph I did with this method and ask yourself, "How could it match the theoretical results so well if the measuring premise was invalid?"

(and I think I got the labels written in wrong.)

as for "significantly" affecting he circuit? I was careful to remind you that the voltage burden of the meter is 10 millivolts at 1 ua.

Attachments