curcuit protection

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
Hello.
I hope I can explain this...........I have a 24vdc clock coil that will have two separate power supplies on two separate switches my problem is the what if......what if someone pushes in both switches at the same time how do I protect my circuit from supplying the coil with 48+ vdc what type of fuse or poly-switch should I use there isn’t any current draw these coils use hardly no amps at all to operate .............hope this makes sense

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Don't put the power supplies in series and they won't add their voltages together to make 48 volts.

Seriously, we are miserable at mind reading. A drawing of your circuit is really necessary.

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
ok I will have 2 of these connected to the same coil pay no attention to the motor or the 9v when both switches are on its a huge issue and pops my H-bridge very quickly

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
the purpose of having to arduino boards is the programming one keeps the time alternating dc voltage every 60 seconds...........the other is a setting mode and alternates every second so the clock can be set to the correct time..........now if someone pushes the "set" button while the clock is in 'normal' mode..I have a direct short not to mention the voltage overload

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
so wait..... we aren't supposed to pay attention to the motor or the 9v battery and then imagine where these switches are and then we just guess how the 2 are connected? :)

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
You need to post your actual circuit with the switches you are talking about etc ...
I can't speak for others, but my crystal ball is out for repair at the moment.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You need to post your actual circuit with the switches you are talking about etc ...
I can't speak for others, but my crystal ball is out for repair at the moment.
I hope you didn't send it to The Crystal Palace in Louisville Kentucky. Last time they scratched mine and its never been the same.

gnuuser

Joined Jan 17, 2013
first you should never have 2 separate power supplies with their own switches unless they are parallel
if you are going to have 2 power supplies they need to be wired parallel.
your switches also need to be wired parallel.
in this instance even if both buttons are pushed at the same time you will only have the same voltage (24 volts)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I would recomment not leaving power and input connections floating unless the data sheet makes it clear that this is acceptable.

We really need to see the schematic for your actual circuit before we can make heads or tails of it.