(CT) can the go bad and give fault reading

techone

Joined Aug 24, 2010
Hey guys i am a new member,

My question is, can a (CT) current transformer, malfunction and cause the reading on a three phase meter to reflex more that what is use by the client?

The problem i am facing here is that, one of my client lights bill double for three straight months and the power company came by and said that she actually use the current. Then two days after they came back and change the (CT) in there transformer and then the current consumption went back to normal.

I am confuss need some help here.

thanks much guys

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Hey guys i am a new member,

My question is, can a (CT) current transformer, malfunction and cause the reading on a three phase meter to reflex more that what is use by the client?

The problem i am facing here is that, one of my client lights bill double for three straight months and the power company came by and said that she actually use the current. Then two days after they came back and change the (CT) in there transformer and then the current consumption went back to normal.

I am confuss need some help here.

thanks much guys
Yes, like any other coil with windings they can malfunction exactly as you indicate. If some turns get shorted, and the ones inbetween the shorted points burn open, then you end up with a CT that has less turns reading the current. I won't go into detail as to how they work but it would indicate more power being used than actually is.