crystal oscillator circuit

whale

Joined Dec 21, 2008
hello everyone,

i have a crystal oscillator circuit

iam verymuch confused about the term EQUIVALENT SERIES RESISTANCE.

for an AT CUT crystal operating in fundamental parallel resonant mode is it enough if we just match the load capacitance of the crystal with the circuit?

OR , we too want to consider in matching EQUIVALENT SERIES RESISTANCE of the crystal?

iam going to change the frequency of the oscillator circuit above to
13.25 MHZ by changing the crystal unit , give me some suggestions.

i have a crystal piece with 13.2520 MHZ of fundamental frequency, but i don't know where to find its .i dont know to which manufacture it belong to .
the wordings stamped on the crystal are,

at front side of crystal,

DY-8

and at back side of the crystal,

WXL
B/0 05

the crystal is about 1.3 CM in length, and 1 CM in width and the thickness is about 2 CM.with two leads at its base.

how can i get its data?
and how to match with above circuit?

Last edited:

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
hello everyone,

i have a crystal oscillator circuit

iam verymuch confused about the term EQUIVALENT SERIES RESISTANCE.

for an AT CUT crystal operating in fundamental parallel resonant mode is it enough if we just match the load capacitance of the crystal with the circuit?

OR , we too want to consider in matching EQUIVALENT SERIES RESISTANCE of the crystal?

iam going to change the frequency of the oscillator circuit above to
13.25 MHZ by changing the crystal unit , give me some suggestions.

i have a crystal piece with 13.2520 MHZ of fundamental frequency, but i don't know where to find its .i dont know to which manufacture it belong to .
the wordings stamped on the crystal are,

at front side of crystal,

DY-8

and at back side of the crystal,

WXL
B/0 05

the crystal is about 1.3 CM in length, and 1 CM in width and the thickness is about 2 CM.with two leads at its base.

how can i get its data?
and how to match with above circuit?

Greetings:

There's a lot of good information on this in the ARRL Handbook, in Chapter 10

The ESR is about 7 ohms for a 10HMZ crystal AT cut. In a SERIES resonant mode, this is the limiting factor for the Q. (Equivalent inductance for such a crystal is about 9.8 mH.

For a series mode crystal, you want the LOAD and SOURCE impedances to both be as low as possible. This allows you to approach the theoretical Q that the ESL will allow.

For a PARALLEL resonant mode, the opposite is true, you want as LITTLE loading on the crystal as possible. However, in order to supply any current to the crystal you have to have SOME finite loading somewhere!

Because any crystal has two significant capacitances, the series capacitance and the shunt capacitance, the maximum impedance will not occur at the 180 degree phase shift point. (They are nearly identical in the series mode, but can diverge significantly in the parallel mode)

The optimum capacitive loading (external to the crystal) will depend on the type of oscillator and the required phase shift to maintain oscillation.

Hope this helps!

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
to change the circuit to operate at 13.25 mhz by using a 13.25 mhz crystal what should i do?

You MIGHT be able to "pull" the frequency of the crystal by trimmer capacitors, but that's a fairly large step. Since you want to go DOWN in frequency, you might be more successful with a series resoanant mode with some inductive loading, Look up "VXO" circuits on the web.

Eric

whale

Joined Dec 21, 2008
now i have 13.25 MHZ crystal unit in my hand, if i replace the crystal unit in the above circuit with 13.25 MHZ crystal, will it work?

or do i want to match the load capacitance?

its enterer if my oscillator work at the range of 13 to 14 mhz