Crude timed Automation Circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by badfish84, Nov 29, 2007.

1. badfish84

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Hello, I'm new to this site and I am looking for a bit of help. I'm a mechanical engineer so my knowledge on practical electronic circuits is limited.
    I am trying to install a control system on a project that I am doing. The project is as follows

1 - System is Tripped (switch tuned on)
    2 - electric actuator (A) must be lowered till it's maximum position
    3 - a delay of 1 to 2 min must occur
    4 - Electric actuator (B) must be lowered to it's maximum position
    5 - A delay of 1 to 2 min must occur
    6 - electric actuator (B) must be raised
    7 - once that is complete, electric actuator (A) must be raised
    8 - system is back to original position and ready to be tripped again

I would also like to be able to do a system reset in case of power failure and such

I do not know wither to use a PLC or if this can be done using a combination of relays and time delay relays. I need the solution before the 15th of December. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much

2. Voltboy

Jan 10, 2007
    Maybe using a 555 timer and a counter??

3. badfish84

Nov 29, 2007
    yeah, that might work, it's just that with the deadline approaching I need a failsafe approach

something easy and packaged in modules. A plc sounds very clean, but how hard are they to program? I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject

4. eeboy

Sep 27, 2007
    If it were me I'd throw a small 8 bit micro at it. However, it sounds like you have never worked with anything like this. Not that it's extremely difficult... there's just a bit of a learning curve associated with it. Considering your deadline I would think a series of 555's along with some circuitry to drive relays would be your "failsafe".

5. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    With the deadline, I'd go with time-delay relays. No programming, no time constants to calculate, just plug & play.

6. eeboy

Sep 27, 2007
    I'd agree with that...

One issue might be getting time delayed relays in time. You can pick a 555 and passive components up at any radio shack but I would expect to have to mail order time delayed relays.

7. badfish84

Nov 29, 2007
    Thanks a lot buddy, I would like to go with an 8 bit or some form of plc. do you know of any good sites that would have info on how to set up basic plc circuits? I would also need the same for the 555 solution.

How easily are plc's to buy? would a specialized electronic store carry them in your opinion?

thanks again for your help
    Jonathan

8. eeboy

Sep 27, 2007
    There are many flavors of microcontrollers out there... If I were doing the project and unit cost was of little concern I would simply choose the microcontroller in which I am most familiar. For me, this would be microchip (www.microchip.com) or TI (www.texasinstruments.com). Components can be purchased through many distributors. My favorite is Digi-Key (www.digikey.com). If you've never done this before I would recommend you NOT take this direction.

You should probably look at something a bit simpler. Try the basic stamp (www.parallax.com) or the basicx (www.basicx.com). The latter is far superior... but lacks in examples/documentation when compared to the former.

If you purchased a development board I would think you could get it delivered and construct your project in time.

9. Voltboy

Jan 10, 2007
    If you don't know about PIC try using PICAXE that can be directly programmable in BASIC, a really easy to understand language.