CRT monitor problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by imperatormk, Jul 7, 2011.

1. imperatormk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Hello,

Recently I was given an old CRT monitor, which is broken. I don`t have much experience with repairing monitors, so some help would do good.

It`s Compaq V55 monitor, and here is the schematic:

http://www.2shared.com/document/LuuABGIg/Compaq_V55_1.html

So, I powered up the monitor and it would do just a click and nothing else. The LED on the front would also power up for a second. That`s it.

I opened the monitor and I was unable to find some blown part. I did some basic measurements, but didn`t find out much. The next day, after applying power to the monitor, I heard a loud BANG. When I removed the cover again, I noticed blown fuse and blown power IC. (IC602 on the schematic).

Now I am in doubt if the HOT transistor, the flyback transformer or some component of the SMPS (apart from the blown IC) has caused the problem.

It`s pretty much suspicious why did the IC blew when I didn`t change anything.

...and there is another problem. When the IC blew, it`s front side (including it`s model) disappeared and now I am not sure how can I find a replacement.

Thank you in advance, sorry for the kinda unclear description of the problem, and please let me know if you need more info. I really need to repair this thing.

P.S. I won`t be here for the next few days, but please give me some suggestion before I come back.

Again, thank you all. :)

2. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    Sounds like you had a problem even before you had a problem. There's a lot of bad stuff in that CRT and your odds of repairing what you know is wrong let alone finding what you don't know is wrong are slim. If you live in VT you can come to my house and have a 20' working CRT for free. It will save me $10 - $15 for disposal. I see people all over here placing them on their lawns with a FREE sticker on them. I bet they all work too! Even the local dump has more working CRT then non-working ones, I'm sure. I really don't think it's worth your trouble. I know it's not what you want to here, but I'm sure you may get a few others here who will agree.

3. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    CRT monitors are not worth much nowadays. as people have been replacing them with flat panel models. I dumped a working monitor myself a year or so ago - it's probably a bit of a waste but that's how it goes. You may well be able to find a better working one for free, or at least very cheaply.

Repairing these things is pretty difficult, and involves working with hazardous voltages. Your monitor is clearly quite badly damaged, so I would suggest dumping it.

4. imperatormk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Err...you are probably both right. iONic - unfortunately I won`t be able to come to your place, but I surely could find some good deal.

Thank you :))

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    free working one here in houston TX too if you're near, let me know

6. imperatormk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Nope, but as I can see I`ll find some good one very soon. ;)

7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    put an ad in craigslist "will pick up CRT monitors for free" and one here in the trade forum. you will get bites. people treat CRT monitors like pennies.

8. imperatormk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Sounds good. I am running a computer repair shop, so if I have several monitors I`ll be able to hook up more PC`s at once. :)