critter counter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Bat count, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bat count

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    hi everyone, i am very new to the world of electronics and need some help. i have seen a brilliant contraption, a bird box with electronic counter on the front of it. Such a simple idea, just spent a while browsing the web to see if there were any instructions on how to make one but nothing yet.

i was hoping to make a few to fit my existing bird boxes,i have found off the shelf products but they seem very expensive £30+ each. so i was hoping to make something that cost less than that, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

like i said complete novice but willing and eager to learn.

2. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I suggest you put some links to what you found and try to offer some explanations on how they work. You'll get more interested responses if you do some of the legwork yourself. You're asking others for help, so make it easy for them to respond.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I understand your reluctance to pay that much, but unless you really enjoy building stuff yourself, you'd be better off buying. It'll be a challenge to get everything working reliably (outdoor conditions) and you could end up spending a lot of time, and maybe even more money. (If you need tools such as a soldering iron and good wire stripper, it'll add up fast but of course you'll still have them when you're done.) If you enjoy the trip as much as the destination, great, you'll find a lot of help here.

The commercial device, does it use an IR beam? That's pretty simple but requires constant power to light the IR LED. That makes battery-based power an issue. I assume these are battery-powered?