Creating the signal required to control Nintendo 3DS with Arduino Uno

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Bearsies, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Bearsies

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Inspired by an automatic Pokemon shiny capturer, my friend and I are determined to make something similar. However, we had some questions with regard to the signal required to for the 3DS to detect a "button press".

In the original creators video, the following implementation was used:

By my understanding, the Arduino is capable of outputting a PWM signal causing some confusion as to why the a hex inverter is needed to create the PWN signal.

We were also wondering if the low-pass filter is simply used to lower the voltage of the signal?

Finally, since I am having trouble finding documentation on 3DS button logic, I am also unsure of what my final output signal needs to be to be recognized as a "button press".

Any help with our project would be greatly appreciated!

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Like it says the hex inverter is used as a level shifter, power it at 1.8v and you will get 1.8V out even if you put 5Vin. The Arduino is doing the PWM.

I couldn't be bothered to watch the video (I much prefer a written description to a video) so I'm not sure what the low pass filter is used for.

3. dilashyaa

Feb 18, 2014
    Nintendo DS/Nintendo DS Lite? Can someone tell me whatz the lowest price i can buy a new Nintendo DS and a used nintendo ds 4 and whatz the lowest price i can buy a new Nintendo DS Lite and an used nintendo ds lite 4? Have it set up in the form below please.

4. Emptora

Jun 23, 2014
    Anybody make any progress with this project? It is something else I am interested in as well...