Creating a MC programming circuit and programming from a PC.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
I'm aiming at building my own programmer and programming my ICSP capable microcontrollers from my PC. It would be both an opportunity to learn and maybe save me from buying my own programmer:D
I was wondering however if anyone knows about circuits implementing this functionality already trough USB or a Serial interface. And perhaps open source software for writing the data into the microcontroller. Finding software examples for writing into serial/usb ports shouldnt be a proplem though.

Seeing some example circuits would save me alot of design time, since developing it from scratch might require more time. I've tried searching for circuits on the net but they seem to be hard to find. Since it's propably easiest to just buy a programmer but as mentioned earlier i'm trying to avoid that.

Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated :)

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
Take a look at the 89C5131 from Atmel. No programmer needed. Hook it up directly to the USB of your PC and download the hex code using the free software from Atmel.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
I'm mostly programming PICs so i'm def gonna need a programmer.

I've found some serial/parallel port circuits for programming pics but i'm gonna build a USB one.