Crank signal genorater emulator 24x and 58x 60-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

04colyZQ8

Joined Mar 21, 2012
Continuing on with the selectable teeth count idea... a little juggling of both of the 4017s' output lines made that easy to do by just adding a couple of 20-pin IDC headers.

One jumper per header allows selection of any number of gear teeth you could get by multiplying two numbers in the range of 1 through 10.

Currently, a jumper must be present somewhere on each header to prevent the reset input from floating, but a 10k pull-down resistor on the reset pin would alleviate that necessity.
I am very interested in this project. I would love any assistance that you could provide me with! I am wanting bench test engine harness and in order to do that the engine needs to "run" most of the sensors I can turn off with my tuner, or fake with resistors and transformers. However the crank signal I need!

I am interested in two types 58x (60-2) and a varried 24x used on GM GEN III and IV V8 engines. I believe them both to be square wave, 12 volt pull up type sensors.

The 24x maybe very hard to replicate the toothes are spaced unevenly, al though when vied on a scope they appear to be spaced equally I think 24 tooth wheel with know gap would work no problem.

What are you using for your source voltage? I have a PCM power supply converted to "LAB" power it puts out 12 volts VDC. Will that work? I can solder, but I don't think

I don't think I can do any programming, do the 4017 need to be programmed? How to I set the jumpers for about 600 rpm, and 24x trigger wheel? Were does the power supply get wired in were it says 14 vc? How do I wire up the sensor inputs. Low ref, 12 volts, and sensor signal., to the PCM? How much are all the parts required to build the circuit , under $50.00 CDN would be great! Thanks for your help. -Jamie

Here is the diagram from the other thread, if someone could help me work with it or design me another one that would be great!

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13707&d=1258696436

Sensor description;

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) is mounted
in the right rear of the engine block behind the
starter. The CKP sensor works in conjunction with
a 24X reluctor wheel mounted on the rear of the
crankshaft. The CKP sensor has a battery power
supply, an earth, and a signal circuit.
As the crankshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel teeth
interrupt a magnetic field produced by a magnet
within the sensor. The sensor's internal circuitry
detects this and produces a signal which the PCM
reads. The PCM uses this signal to accurately
measure crankshaft position and engine speed.
The reluctor wheel is mounted on the rear of the
crankshaft. The 24X reluctor wheel use two
different width notches (12° and 3°) that are 15°
apart. This pulse width encoded pattern allows
cylinder position identification within 90 degrees of
crankshaft rotation. In some cases, cylinder
identification can be located in 45 degrees of
crankshaft rotation. This reluctor wheel also has
dual track notches that are out of phase. The dual
track design allows for quicker starts and accuracy

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have not been very active on the forums lately, nor have I been monitoring my E-mail on any kind of regular basis. I just happened to run across your E-mail as a fluke.

I have not been active on the forums as my "main" computers are in storage pending a move. It is unlikely that I will be any more active on the Forums until somewhere around the end of April. All of my simulations and simulation models are on my computers and backup drives that are in storage, and I really don't have anyplace to set them up where I am at the moment.

The 4017 does not require "programming" as such; it is a 4000 series CMOS IC. It is also available in the 74 series as a 74HC4017. 4000 series ICs are slower than the 74 series, but can operate over a wider range of voltage. The 74xx series are faster, however 4000 series should be plenty fast enough.

Don't expect any kind of fast replies to the thread from me. I might check the forum every couple of days, and don't reply to threads very often.

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
I too had to do this because I wanted to test code I had written that will read a crank signal sensor.

I have code to generate various tooth signals on my uC, but you'd have to get the uC and supporting hardware, and then design the hardware to turn the uC's 3.3v =< 30mA digital out into a 12v pulse. I guess you could just use an FET for this.

There is also something called a "jimstim" for the megasquirt EMS builders. It is pretty cheap and does a variety of things, I do not know if it will do your specific trigger wheel setups, but since they are common I would imagine it will.

http://www.jbperf.com/JimStim/index.html

04colyZQ8

Joined Mar 21, 2012
I'm not sure but Lingfengter not spelled right now makes a 24x-58x convertor box, as well as a 58x-24x box. Allowing you guys to offer the 6L80E in the Trailblazers with PCM swap and the box, rather then dropping the crank and changing reluctors, hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.