course work task

shedrach uchenna

Joined Mar 6, 2015
produce a vhdl code for a clock divider that generates a clock signal of 5KHZ,having one input clock(systems clock) and 1-bit output(the divided clock signal.
2. generate a PWM signal with a frequency of 5khz and 50% duty cycle, produce a vhdl code of a 5-bit counter with one clock input and one 5-bit output.
produce a vhdl code for a 5-bit comparator with a two 5-bit input to be compared and a 1-bit output the result of the comparism

Tisan

Joined Mar 16, 2015
shedrach shedrach Hey. HEY ..I am ur module leader .(Dr. Alin Tisan,).
Please come an see me in class and explain to me that u posted my course work.
I ask u to do ur self .
I will also reduce 30% of ur assignments marks for this action.
COME TO MY OFFICE .
shedrach
SHEDRACH

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
shedrach shedrach Hey. HEY ..I am ur module leader .(Dr. Alin Tisan,).
Please come an see me in class and explain to me that u posted my course work.
I ask u to do ur self .
I will also reduce 30% of ur assignments marks for this action.
COME TO MY OFFICE .
shedrach
SHEDRACH
To be fair, he did it himself (assuming he turned this assignment in), as far is discernable from this forum.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Darn....next time someone give an answer in the homework help without the TS providing some work, i'll direct them to this thread.

To the professor, the rules of the section require work on the TS's part as the members will guide them, but, the TS is still doing the work.

Counters are your friend was a very good hint to the TS. What they do with it ... We have yet to see.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While the members adhered to this forum's guidelines for Homework Help -- namely not just giving out a solution and offering hints only -- the TS apparently did not follow his course's guidelines which prohibited asking for help at all. So he gets what he gets.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I fail to recognize the difference between this forum and phone a friend othet than the documenation of the inquiry.

Doing it themselves can include no external references, including the course textbook.

I'd like the professor to clarify what resources are allowable under the phrase "do it yourself".

If this forum rules need to be modified and restricting the responders then so be it. I thought we were handling most in the proper manner, with a few exceptions.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I fail to recognize the difference between this forum and phone a friend othet than the documenation of the inquiry.

Doing it themselves can include no external references, including the course textbook.

I'd like the professor to clarify what resources are allowable under the phrase "do it yourself".

If this forum rules need to be modified and restricting the responders then so be it. I thought we were handling most in the proper manner, with a few exceptions.
We are, but we cannot even hope to know the constraints that have been placed on a given assignment. We have no choice but to assume that if a student posts here that that is allowed by the rules for that assignment. It may not be, but we have no way of knowing that. Our policies are designed to (1) foster the most beneficial assistance to the students and (2) to minimize the degree to which the assistance received violates conditions that we know nothing about.

The first (and only) take-home test I ever gave was very, very explicitly clear about the rules -- students were not to discuss the exam with ANYONE, including other instructors, except me. This was in writing on the exam itself. Yet all but one student cheated and worked with at least one other person -- and it was trivially easy to tell that this was the case from the exams themselves. I learned a valuable lesson -- you can tell physics students not to cheat and they won't (with very rare exception) while you can tell engineering students not to cheat and they will (with very rare exception). So you have to assume that they are going to cheat if it is physically possible and you devise your assignments and exams accordingly making it so that information they can track down is fair game and information that you don't want them to have is such that they can't track it down. It's fairly easy to get, say, 80% of the way to that goal. The other 20% is the hard part involving cross-checking the submissions looking for unacceptable commonality.

One trick that has been particularly effective is to work through the author's problems and find ones in which the solution's manual has errors. Then you assign those problems as much as possible and when someone turns in work that mysteriously has the same mistakes as the author's solutions, you have a nice chat with the student.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
As an advid supporter of the rules here, i agree with you.

Our unknown is the inquirer's taskings. i know you are an active professor, but i don't know who else fits that description.

I would love to see more instructors participating.

Sure, if the student got help here, it is all documented for their professor to see exactly what assistance was rendered.

All this does is add an additional question to ask a thread starter.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As an advid supporter of the rules here, i agree with you.

Our unknown is the inquirer's taskings. i know you are an active professor, but i don't know who else fits that description.

I would love to see more instructors participating.

Sure, if the student got help here, it is all documented for their professor to see exactly what assistance was rendered.

All this does is add an additional question to ask a thread starter.
From a feasibility perspective it isn't realistic to ask the TS what the constraints are. First, if they are willing to violate the constraints then they are almost certainly willing to lie about the constraints in order to claim that it is okay for them to ask for help. Second, we see the problems we have just getting people to use a meaningful thread title, make a clear statement of their problem, show their attempt to solve it, and ask a clear question regarding what assistance they are seeking.

Also, while the assistance they get is documented here, chances are very high that their professor will never see it and that they are completely unaware of this site, and most others like it, entirely. Even if they are, it is doubtful that they have the time to search all of the forums looking for transgressions.

I don't know of an good solution to the problem. About the best we can probably hope for is to point out examples where someone did ask for inappropriate help and got caught and paid a price for it. That at least establishes that there IS risk associated with violating your instructor's rules on assignments.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I agree That this thread is a good example of failure to follow the constraints placed on the students.

There are numerous paid homework sites out there as well, not to mention the tutor sites. A professor wouldnt have a life trying to chase down all the venues.

on edit ... corrected spelling.

Last edited: