Counting from 1 to 6

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
Hi
I need some help on this assignment i got. We have to use a synchronous counter to enable count from 1 to 6.

Below is the description of the assignment:

I have tried to come up with a schematic for this circuit but unsure if it is correct.

P.S

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might want to try some ideas out using the logic simulator. It only takes a few minutes to set something up.

You might find an AND gate more useful than a flip flop.

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
Ok i have tried the logic simulator and my circuit does not work can you tell me how can i make it count 1 to 6. This is my modified circuit.

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
my mistake i didn't add that when CEP and CET are high the counter will count.

In the CEDAR logic simulator when the led goes light blue what does that mean? And when it goes dark blue what does that mean?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Beats me - I use a breadboard or paper.You are still tying the inputs of your AND gate to some unspecified location on the counter.

Think about what pins to use to detect a count of 6. Think about what has to happen after reaching 6 before loading back to 1.

Have you got a '161 data sheet to guide you?
Why are the parallel load inputs attached to a switch? How might they be arranged to let the parallel load enable set the counter to the 1 state?

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
Well, if you connect the parallel load inputs to the inputs on the AND gate would it count 6 times?

Yes i got the data sheet.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You can't use inputs as outputs. The parallel load should set the counter state to 1. Think about how to arange the inputs so that will happen.

Think also about the state of the 4 output pins and what they will look like at a count of 6.

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
This is another modified schematic, i pretty sure this is correct, however when i tried to wire it up nothing really happen. Is there anything wrong with my circuit?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Why the connections to CEP/CET? All the AND gate needs are the output bits that are true when the count = 6. Check the parallel load setup. You might be loading some value other than 1.

You don't want the counter to go to 1 when the count reaches 6. You want it on the next clock. Add one more AND gate.

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
ok, which connections have i made correct?
Are you saying that i should not connect CEP/CET to the inputs of the NAND gates?

Digit0001

Joined Mar 28, 2010
The circuit below i tested and every time you count it will count from 1 straight to 6 or it will count 1 to 1.

Could you please tell me how to count 1,2,3,4,5,6. I really need to finish it.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The second NAND will be low whenever the count is not 6, so the counter will always parallel load on the clock. Your connection to Vcc for D3 sould force the parallel load to produce a count of 8, not 1. CET & CET are floating, and will produce strange results. All unused inputs to logic must be tied HIGH or LOW for proper functioning.

That Fairchild data sheet has the timing diagram to illustrate all counting conditions. You need to use it to see how the IC functions. Every other piece of logic you encounter will have similar constraints to its application.