Counterfeit Electronics and Military

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wendy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Looks like we may be getting some of our industry back, I hope. I've read science fiction that I rejected with this kind of scenario.

Fake chips threaten military

Unbelievable.

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    This is incompetent on so many levels if true.
    How hard is it to buy a few spares or keep track of when something is going obsolete?

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    There is just something about that recurring theme that makes me wonder and nervous. The military command structure was dumb enough to buy and pay for that junk, but smart enough to test thoroughly every single piece before use. That has the makings of another famous oxymoron.

John

4. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Its funny. I'm very pro-military. I understand and support the concept of mil spec. Hollywood would like to show these guys as idiots, when in reality they are generally much smarter than average. I have to wonder too, if there is something much deeper going on here.

5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    it's a sad era for semiconductors.

7. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    You have two entirely different mindsets at work ... those that write the procurement contracts and those that have to use the procured materials. There are avenues for the latter to use to improve the former ... if they are serious enough to challenge. The form used was a ROID ... this is no $hit. Report of Item Discrepancy.

Damm ... I managed to use ROID and $hit in one line. LOL....

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I saw that but can you actually say its surprising anymore? Their finding counterfit tooth paste at wallgreens in New Jersey, and other products at major chains in the US. The world is getting cheaper and cheaper by the minute. At least these guys got caught. I just sold a laptop to a Centcom worker today and we were bsing how much money these so called contractors rip off from the gov all the time. He told me one story where they paid a firm 5 million dollars to basically take and open source CRM system and tailor it to their needs.

9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Did he relay how many times they re-wrote the code to satisfy "new" minor requirements? I was relayed a story by a former officer who was working on a small project that would have been completed in less than a month but was incomplete after a year because of the OS the government was using (BTOS/CTOS) vice DOS.

Yes, I think there are ripoffs and yes there are new requirements imposed all the time. It's not uncommon to have a punch sheet (discrepancies noted by the government that the government has agreed to fix using government resources) on new projects. Those don't happen in the software world as much as the hardware and construction world.

The government projects that come in on time and on budget don't make the news.

I'm sure there's "more to the story" than basically take an OPEN SOURCE CRM and tailor it. The Open Source isn't driving the cost.

Future government contracts are online. Anyone can bid on them if they meet the requirements.