counter question

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
hi
in any counter; for example the one i'm building, a 0-15 counter; how do i make this counter reachs a certain number and stops and then this number stays displayed by the 7-segment display...my aim is to let the counter count from 0 till 15 and then the counter stops at 15 where the 7-segment displays 15...any help?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In order for 7 segment displays to show the two digit value of 15, you will need two displays. With external logic, a single binary counter will do, but it might be easier with two decimal counters.

Are you using standard logic for the counter, or are you doing an exercise to make a discreet design?

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
i'm doing a project and my instructor needs me to work and design by myself....i designed an external circuit to obtain two digits on two 7 segment displays from the 7493 binary counter....

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
maybe you are right SgtWookie...it's a final course project. i'am asking about the concept of this external circuit beenthere

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Think of a logic gate that would change its output when the counter state went to 15 and whose output would disable another gate from passing any further clock pulses.

luck

Joined Jan 25, 2008
you can use a latch that triggers before the display such that when the MSB would go from high to low you lock the 15 value in the display; you can also use this latch to stop the clock/input source for good measure.

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
I used AND gates to get 1 when the counter reaches 15, and then i connected this 1 with the clock signal to the inputs of a NOR gate and i connected this final output from the NOR gate to the clk input of the counter....It's solved now.thanks.