Counter design

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
i guess you store your pre-last count each time and then compare it to next count output
suppose the count occurs at rising edge _↑¯ of a clock so you store your compare buffer
at falling clock
CLK _/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯ -- 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 -- clock
CT0 _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ -- 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 0 0 1 -- counter lowermost output
BUF _ _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ ¯\_ _/¯ ¯\_ _ -- 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 0 0 -- inter buf (D-trigger)
CPB _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ -- 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 5 5 5 -- compare buffer (D-trigger)
( there is missing control logic for each D-trigger -- which is too easy to figure out)
( here is missing initallizing logic SET/RESET buffers -- it is possible to implement a circular cycle so if compare buffer is to become 0 its set to 7 instead - quite a lot of extra components to counter - but not yet too complex)
which may be not the optimal solution in a sense of component count or the circuit cost and power draw or the Max. speed of operation . . .

ha! , forgot -- you have to implement another counter CT.B to count the CPB times each time the CT0 increments - so the CLK for CT0 has to be "masked" or enabled for CT0 each time CT.B "reaches CPB and is about to reset** that is at next rising CLK" - it's a bit messy to grasp and implement - but if you can simulate or draw the timing diagrams it's all trivial - theres no point anyone else draw such a simple "pure discreet logic" for you - though it can be and fast set up in excel where each next line updates from previous - as each line corresponds to consecutive system states in time - each column is certain output Excel logic can be implemented fast as :
A1 and B1 = C2 =+A1*B1
A1 or B1 = C2 =+0+((A1+B1)>1) -- if you omit starting +0+.. excel displays TRUE or FALSE if you include +0+.. Excel displays 1 or 0
not B1 = C2 =+0+(B1=0)
A1 xor B1 = C2 =+0+(A1<>B1)
e.c.
which is insane but a possibility when there is no alternatives at the time or task is too simple to implement elsewhere
the .zip contains non-cycling v. of CT0 (CT.A) only not CT.B

Attachments

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
counter B not implemented ()
basically you have to implement with discreets this:
filemame.html
<body>
<script language=javascript>
for(var i=7;i>0;i--){var a=0;for(var j=i;j>0;j--){a++;document.write(String(i)+","+String(j)+","+String(a)+"<br>")}}
</script>
</body>​
displays i,j,a values
from what we see is also possible to use only one up down counter that accepts presetting its data by bits as the 74x193 does
and using a lot of registers to shift data in and out , hold the values bing compared (a minor ALU if you like) . . . there are a way too many possibilities to do this

Attachments

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
ups! actually that
<body>
<script language=javascript> - - - - - - - - - - - - -▼error▼
for(var i=7;i>0;i--)for(var j=i;j>0;j--)for(var a=0;a<=►j◄;a++){document.write(String(i)+","+String(j)+","+String(a)+"<br>")}
</script>
</body>​
counts from 0 to j
if this is a course excercise then it also might be that what they want to see is counts from 0 to j² or from 1 to j² or who the hell knows because once again we don't have a purpose for this thing represented e.g. what's it gonna be or for what it is for (this place - the Planet Earth - is hopeless . . .)
e.g corrected scripts
v.1
<body>
for(var i=7;i>0;i--)
{ var crc=0;
for(var j=i;j>0;j--)
{ for(var a=0;a<=i;a++)
{ crc++;
document.write(String(i)+","+String(j)+","+String(a)+","+String(crc)+"<br>")
}
}
}
</script>
</body>​
v.2
<body>
for(var i=7;i>0;i--)
{ var crc=0;
for(var j=i;j>0;j--)
{ for(var a=1;a<=i;a++)
{ crc++;
document.write(String(i)+","+String(j)+","+String(a)+","+String(crc)+"<br>")
}
}
}
</script>
</body>​

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
come on ? it <snip> but it will be good to solve this here so years after people searching the web can find their answers - for example lots of UART stuff(useful information) comes from the 1980-s postings and the only valid/practical transformers magnetic chain descriptions come from before WWII scans - so over the 80ya !!!!

Moderator edit: removed email address to prevent spam

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If you want a counter that counts down from 7-squared to 1-squared then recycles, an important question is - what is the output? Do you want the result to appear on a 2-digit display, present as a 6-bit binary number, present as a 7-bit BCD number, or what?

ak