Counter circuit with 7 seg displays

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
I'm trying to build a basic baseball scoreboard which will receive instructions from serial communication. I think I have the shift register to give me the parallel outputs down, I just need some help on the counters.
Each home and away score will have 2 7 segs and will need to count up to 99 and then go to 0. I imagine a decade counter will do this, but in order to get balls, strikes, outs, innings, home and away scores, this would add up to a bunch of decade counters.
The balls, strikes, and outs will be done with LED's, the rest with 7 segs.

What do you all recommend for this circuit? I'm not bound to a specific IC, so any suggestions on how to do this would be great!

Thanks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Do you have any experience with microcontrollers?

If not, this would be a good project to use one in.

You would wind up having a very low parts count.

It can be done with logic IC's, but it would be a lot of work and wiring - and if you made an error, it might be very difficult to recover from.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
Actually, this is a project using the M16C microcontroller. I wasn't sure how much I could control easily via serial, so I was just going to have each item triggered by the microcontroller. How would I start about controlling everything via serial output? Thanks for the reply.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I guess you're talking about the Renesas M16C?

Expect for this thread to be moved into the Microcontrollers and Embedded Computing forum.

I have no experience with those uC's, sorry.

However, you should be able to maintain counts of occurrences in the local uC, and send it to a remote uC.

Wireless may or may not be a better option.

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
Yes, it is the Renesas M16C. I guess the problem I encounter is coming up with a way to transmit different signals to the displays, so that I only increment the correct display.
Would a shift register work for this?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Have a look at the 4094B 8 STAGE SHIFT + STORE BUS REG (RC) chip. You can connect these together to get as many outputs as you want. You would need darlington transistors connected to these because they won't supply enough power for LEDs, but you can get chips with 8 darlingtons.
The other common way is to multiplex the LED displays. There is a lot of information out there on how to do that so I won't go into it.
You will also have to look at a binary to BCD routine in software.