Counter Circuit - 00 to 60 plus reset

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I don't see any decoupling capacitors on that board. It might be a good idea add one .01 uf per chip plus a 100 uf somewhere. Seriously.

infernowheels

Joined Mar 29, 2015
I don't see any decoupling capacitors on that board. It might be a good idea add one .01 uf per chip plus a 100 uf somewhere. Seriously.
I don't have access to any more components other than those on the diagram.. And our deadline is just hours away.. Not one has solved this...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Have you thought about using IC CD4026? 7 chips for an circuit that counts from 0 to 60 is just so 70's Better still use an microcontroller to do the job, and providing it is an flash memory type, this will bring you into this century. If you use the PIC 16F628 then this will equate to like 2001.
That's like saying that learning how to multiply and divide by hand is just so 1600's and every child should just start straight with a smart phone so as to equate with, like, 2010.

The idea isn't to make a counter, the idea is to learn fundamental digital design concepts.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Okay so the problem now is that when it reaches 59, the tens digit goes directly to 0 instead of 6, and then when the ones digit resets to zero, the tens digit becomes 1..

I don't have a copy of it, but I'll try to make one..
And the problem is what? Sounds to me like it's working as it should. Note that 00-59 is 60 units. And when the units counter hits 9, the next step is zero and the tens digit should increment. Which to me is what you said?!

And did you get a schematic drawn?

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Hello infernowheels

Probably very late. because what You say in Your Post #23.
Any way this could help to Others.

You have some opportunities to improve your design.
They are in the circuit contained in the .PDF document, attached.

As far as I understand You are trying to design an: Counter Circuit - 00 to 60 plus reset.
But never mention what the circuit must do as soon as it reach the 60:
Reset and continue counting.
Just Stop, keeping the 60 on the Displays.
Or Stop and reset to 0.
Now: What You mean with: -plus reset- ?
Should have a button for reset the counter ?. . . I think not, because you say (#6) -We aren't allowed to do so.. I need to just use what's on the diagram. It's frustrating, I know.
So, I believe You try to stop the counter with those AND & Inverter Gates.

But all the above Don't solve your original 2 Problems.
> When it's powered on, the ones digit counter has to start from zero instead of one.
> The circuit has to reset after it reaches 60.

First of all. Take a look at the document: "Your Counter - 00 to 60 Plus Reset.PDF".
Try to understand the opportunities to improve your Design.
Have You Done ?

Now Study the Circuit contained in the document: "Counter - 00 to 60 Continuously.PDF".
Have You Done ?.
And now Study the Circuit contained in the document: "Counter - 00 to 60 Stop At 60.PDF"
Have You Done ?.

Could you, Please, tell Me the differences in this last two circuits?
For example why one used Q10 and Q40 and The other used "Q1, Q10 and Q40".
And everything else that you see different.

If Your design on breadboard do not start on 0. Connect a capacitor on the PINs 11 of the 74LS192 to Ground.
Around 470uF @ 15 VDC.

Attachments