Counter 4017 ?

DAK

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I’m a baseball coach at a high school and when we use our pitching machine our players want to hit more balls than they should. I would like for an alarm to go off after a pre-determined amount of pitches. The machine has an arm connected to a wheel that rotates. Each full revolution equals one ball pitched. I would like to count each revolution (pulse) of the wheel either by a limit switch or even a reed switch with a magnet on the wheel. Maximum pitches would be somewhere around 10. There is 110 vac at the machine so I can run most any dc voltage through a transformer to run a circuit. I have played around with the 4017 counter/divider and the 555 timer but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. What would be the correct type of circuit to use for this type of application? I’m not real experienced with electronics but I can follow a schematic and build a circuit. I would have to have a complete schematic in order for me to do this. I’m not sure how much time it would take to make a schematic of this sort but any information would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You for Your Time

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi Dak,
I read your post and would like to hand you a solution, but it's a bit past my prime time, if you know what I mean.

However, I'm replying so that you know that your request for input has been read, acknowledged, and to try to keep it near the top for the next day or so.

Also, I've tried to re-format your request for help a tad bit so that it's a little easier to read for my 2nd time around.

I hope you and yours have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
Wook
I’m a baseball coach at a high school.

When we use our pitching machine, our players want to hit more balls than they should.

I would like for an alarm to go off after a pre-determined amount of pitches.

The machine has an arm connected to a wheel that rotates. Each full revolution equals one ball pitched. I would like to count each revolution (pulse) of the wheel either by a limit switch or even a reed switch with a magnet on the wheel. Maximum pitches would be somewhere around 10.

There is 110VAC at the machine, so I can run most any dc voltage through a transformer to run a circuit.

I have played around with the 4017 counter/divider and the 555 timer, but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

What would be the correct type of circuit to use for this type of application?

I’m not real experienced with electronics, but I can follow a schematic and build a circuit.

I would have to have a complete schematic in order for me to do this. I’m not sure how much time it would take to make a schematic of this sort but any information would greatly be appreciated.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Give us a number, or a range, you need to set the alarm to.

The only problem (minor) is where we get the signal from to feed the counter.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I’m a baseball coach at a high school and when we use our pitching machine our players want to hit more balls than they should. I would like for an alarm to go off after a pre-determined amount of pitches. The machine has an arm connected to a wheel that rotates. Each full revolution equals one ball pitched. I would like to count each revolution (pulse) of the wheel either by a limit switch or even a reed switch with a magnet on the wheel. Maximum pitches would be somewhere around 10. There is 110 vac at the machine so I can run most any dc voltage through a transformer to run a circuit. I have played around with the 4017 counter/divider and the 555 timer but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. What would be the correct type of circuit to use for this type of application? I’m not real experienced with electronics but I can follow a schematic and build a circuit. I would have to have a complete schematic in order for me to do this. I’m not sure how much time it would take to make a schematic of this sort but any information would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You for Your Time

so the wheel only spins one revolution per each ball pitched?

If so, you were pretty much on the right track, I don't believe you need the timer since the rotation of the wheel can be your clock source for the 4017...... A magnet on the wheel and a Reed switch (Similar to those used in alarm systems for windows or door contacts would work)

here is a basic circuit I believe you might be able to elaborate on if needed.... but this should be adequate for just ten pitches per batter setup...

If you wanted a buzzer or something, you can use the 555 timer as a one-shot to signal the end of pitches at output #9, since the 555 is triggered from a high to low transition on its trigger pin, once the 4017 cycles back to 0 (0utput 9 will be high then transition to low), the buzzer can sound a momentary beep......

My .02

Attachments

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
so the wheel only spins one revolution per each ball pitched?

If so, you were pretty much on the right track, I don't believe you need the timer since the rotation of the wheel can be your clock source for the 4017...... A magnet on the wheel and a Reed switch (Similar to those used in alarm systems for windows or door contacts would work)

here is a basic circuit I believe you might be able to elaborate on if needed.... but this should be adequate for just ten pitches per batter setup...

If you wanted a buzzer or something, you can use the 555 timer as a one-shot to signal the end of pitches at output #9, since the 555 is triggered from a high to low transition on its trigger pin, once the 4017 cycles back to 0 (0utput 9 will be high then transition to low), the buzzer can sound a momentary beep......

My .02
You'll need to debounce the reed switch. Alternately, you could use a Hall effect sensor.