count up with push button.need help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cabsbri, Jun 23, 2013.

1. cabsbri

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 23, 2013
    good day..i would like to ask if how can i make a count up counter with 1 oush button?i need it to make like a priority number of my mini store..and what are the best parts and ic to use...im planning to use a led for its display..thank you

2. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Welcome to AAC. Are you wanting to display a number or simply light up a row of LEDs (one at a time in order)?

If you want to display a number, what is largest number you want to display, e.g., 0-9, 00-99, etc.?

If you could post a picture or a link to something similar we can better help you.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    A customer comes into the store and takes a number. The current customer being served is displayed on a large LED counter showing a number from 00-99.

Very doable and a great little project for anyone with little or no experience in electronics.

There are a number of approaches of which I will outline three possibilities:

1) Classic solution using 0-9 counter, 7-segment decoder/driver, 7 resistors, 7-segment LED display.
    You will need to double the parts for 00-99 display.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/counter.asp?showcomments=all

2) You can find single chip solutions such as SN74143 and CD4026. You will need two of this.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/newsgroups/viewtopic.php?t=10671

3) You can program a microcontroller chip to create a single chip solution. You can have up to four digits with the single chip.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?b=559

With options (1) and (2) you will need to create a switch debounce circuit otherwise the counter will skip some counts when the push-button is pressed.

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You could get a cheap calculator and wire a switch in parallel with the + Key, programme the calculator to add 1, and every time the push button is pressed it counts up one!

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes, I have done that too for a portable radiation counter in the '70s.

6. cabsbri

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 23, 2013
    this is absolutely what i wat..thank you very much..i figure out how to make it.. i use 555 timer ic to make an pulse input...bec. push button wont work...

7. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    A push button can work, but it needs to be debounced. A 555 can do this or a Schmitt gate IC with a resistor and capacitor. Sometimes you can get away with just a cap and resistor.

You still haven't elaborated on what it is you're looking for. Is this a 1, 2, 3, 4, or more digit display?

You can take a look at this post for some examples. A CD40110 will do the job nicely if you don't need to preset or reset the display to a specific value.